Job Introduction Main Responsibilities
Retail Banking Experience Required
- Lead and manage the Compliance Advisory team on a day-to-day basis, ensuring that compliance advice and support is accurate and provided in a timely manner to the relevant areas of the business. Compliance advice will cover all products and services across the Bank (current, savings and deposit accounts; mortgage and lending products; card products; FX and derivatives business) as well as overarching compliance requirments such as Consumer Duty, conduct risk, vulnerable customers, complaints, conflicts of interest, PA dealing, outsourcing etc
- To support the business in designing and implementing effective control frameworks to manage compliance and regulatory risk
- To support business development and product governance, ensuring that compliance and regulatory requirements are taken into consideration and implemented effectively
- To ensure that the advisory team is considering customer outcomes within their advisory work and the requirements of Consumer Duty
- To oversee the horizon scanning process within the advisory team, ensuring that it is being completed in a timely manner and that the information provided to the relevant business areas is clear and understandable
- To ensure that the advisory team are effectively supporting and overseeing the implementation of regulatory changes within the Bank, ensuring robust and adequate action plans are put in place and implemented within stated deadlines. To escalate any challenges or issues/risks identified to the Chief Compliance Officer and to the relevant business area.
- To support the change management process within the Bank, ensuring that the compliance advisory team is providing the necessary support and challenge to change initiatives, ensuring that regulatory driven change is prioritised appropriately, that regulatory requirements are factored into all change work underway within the Bank and that any compliance issues are flagged and addressed
- Ensure that all compliance risks identified, whether emerging or crystallised and comprehensively documented and escalated to the Chief Compliance Officer in a timely manner
- Oversee all internal reporting being produced by the Compliance Advisory team, ensuring that the content is accurate, up to date and provides a robust overview of the work being undertaken within the Compliance Advisory team and the risks and issues identified
- To support the completion of any regulatory communications, notifications or other forms of regulatory engagement, including incident reporting, providing SME compliance input and supporting the relevant business in the drafting of communications
- To attend key governance committees/forums and steercos to provide real time advice and effective challenge to stakeholders.
- To build strong relationships with the first line of defence and to clearly articulate regulatory expectations and standards to Handelsbanken colleagues, both verbally and in writing. This is in relation to current business practices, new business initiatives and new regulatory expectations. Help support and deliver a collaborative working environment between Compliance and the business
- To stay connected to the external regulatory bodies and industry groups.
Research (by Harvard University) shows that women are particularly likely to second guess themselves and not apply - so if you are worried you don't meet all the criteria, get in touch anyhow and let us do the worrying...
- The individual should be ambitious and have strong communication (both written and verbal), reasoning and influencing skills, which are essential to develop and maintain strong working relationships.
- Deep working knowledge of the FCA rules contained within the High level Standards and Business Standards sections of the FCA Handbook.
- A strong understanding of the UK regulations and rulebooks specifically in relation to banking, lending and investment products. Additional understanding of the European requirements that apply would be beneficial.
- Good understading of conduct risk and Consumer Duty and how this impacts the Bank's business
- Be able to demonstrate appropriate knowledge of a full range of banking products and functionality for individual and corporate products
- Strong problem solving and lateral thinking abilities.
- Experience from an appropriate compliance, regulatory or legal background is essential.
- Stong leadership skills with the ability to manage a team through leadership skills, personal development and acting as a role model.
- Engage and build relationships with senior stakeholders and leadership teams.
- Sound judgement and strong decision making skills with the ability to see things through to resolution at all times.
- Proactive with regards to ownership and oversight of emerging and existing risks.
- An ability to self-manage, work proactively , using own initiative without needing direction, remain motivated and lead by example.
- Exceptionally strong focus on delivering timely and high quality customer service and advice.
Handelsbanken is a relationship bank with a decentralised way of working, a strong local presence thanks to a nationwide network of branches, and a long-term approach to customer relations. Each Handelsbanken branch operates as a local business enabling it to make decisions at a local level and provide a bespoke service. The focus is always on the need of the individual customer and not on the sale of specific products.
The Bank is deeply committed to embedding good equality and diversity practice into all of our activities. This is so that we are an inclusive, welcoming and inspiring place to work that encourages everyone to apply, regardless of socio-economic background, age, disability, pregnancy and/or parental status, race (including colour, nationality, and ethnic or national origin), veteran status, marital and civil partnership status, religion or belief, sex, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
At Handelsbanken, we deeply value our unique culture and values including trust in and respect for each individual. We take pride in nurturing a work environment where people flourish, and where they are empowered to take decisions in their areas of expertise. We take a long term perspective in everything we do and want each employee who joins us to build a long terms successful career with the Bank.
What is in it for you?
Application next steps
- We have a wide range of learning and development available, empowering and enabling our colleagues to take ownership of their own development.
- Competitive Salary and an extensive range of benefits is provided, including private medical insurance, income protection and life assurance
- A market-leading pension contribution of 15% paid by the bank, which can be invested in a wide range of funds (including ESG and Shariah funds)
Your journey with us begins once you have submitted your application. One of our Handelsbanken recruiters will be reviewing your details and will later organise a phone conversation if you match the role requirements. If there is a mutual fit, we will extend an invitation for you to participate in an interview.
How can we support you to be your best self? Our Talent Acquisition team will be happy to provide support e.g. if you need additional time to prepare for an interview or you have any requirements for any part of the interview/hiring process - just let us know by email email@example.com .
This advert will be live for a minimum of two weeks. However, please note that after the two weeks, the closing date could change at any time depending on the number of responses received.