Who we are looking for
State Street Associates (SSA) is looking for candidates for a London-based 13-month internship who can make an immediate contribution to our quantitative research team.
SSA is a unique partnership between industry and thought leaders in academic finance. We have a track record of helping hundreds of the world's largest institutional investors solve complex problems to enhance investment performance and manage risk. Our highly customised investment strategy analyses are based on advanced quantitative analytics and modelling tools, many based on original research generated by our staff and published in academic and practitioner journals. The educational background of our full-time staff varies widely; many of us hold advanced degrees in finance, economics, and in the sciences. Why this role is important to us
The team you will be joining is a part of State Street Global Markets (SSGM). When owners and managers of institutional assets need research, trading, securities lending and innovative portfolio strategies, they turn to SSGM business unit. As our investment research and trading arm, SSGM's number one goal is to enhance and preserve our clients' portfolio values by applying technology, optimizing trading, and linking asset classes and markets across the world.
Join us if making your mark in the capital markets industry from day one is a challenge you are up for. Responsibilities
As an intern with our team, the candidate will work closely with our full-time staff to ensure timely production of publications for our global client base as well as assist in the completion of quantitative analyses on topics such as investment strategy design, portfolio construction, currency hedging, and risk management for our clients. Depending on your skills and ability to climb the learning curve, you will have opportunities to contribute anywhere from collecting, analysing, and presenting economic and financial data all the way to presenting analysis and supporting new research and development initiatives to enhance our products and capabilities. The intern will gain experience that is valuable for a wide range of career paths in finance. What we value
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- Deadline- and detail-oriented; ability to work in a fast-paced structured and team-based environment as well as the ability to work independently
- Professionalism dependability and trustworthiness
- Strong interest and competency in global financial markets
- Highly motivated, self-starter with a drive for success
- Ability to identify problems and explore solutions
About State Street What we do.
- We offer a competitively paid internship. Candidates must be able to work on a full-time basis from 1 July 2024 to 1 August 2025 Preference will be given to candidates currently in their penultimate year of studies.
- Candidates should have strong quantitative skills. Prior coursework or experience with financial models and/or quantitative techniques is a plus, as is experience with programming (preferably MATLAB, Python, or Excel VBA).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment are critical
- A minimum 2.1 honours degree or equivalent (predicted)
- Enthusiasm for learning and commitment to development with an understanding of existing strengths and potential barriers to success
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Strong verbal written and interpersonal communication skills
- Candidate must be an undergraduate student studying a four year course including a year in industry
State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation we're making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we've been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients. Work, Live and Grow.
We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary in locations, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans among other perks. You'll have access to flexible Work Program to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential. Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility.
We truly believe our employees' diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspective are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome the candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift program and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Discover more at StateStreet.com/careers