Due to an internal promotional move, an exciting role has developed to join our team.
The role provides an opportunity to join the Global Underwriting Team working with colleagues around the globe. This role will provide underwriting guidance and oversight to business units. The Global Head of Liability Underwriting will work across all regions both in claims, underwriting and with other key functions to provide insights to improve overall business results, for the various liability lines. You'll be provided with the opportunity to work internally across the Zurich global network, but also with our key global customers, brokers, reinsurers as well as key business partners such as our global legal network.
To be successful in this role, you will be a confident senior manager, with experience in managing large and complex liability portfolios. It is essential that you are pragmatic, with strong, influence management, negotiation, mediation, and communication skills. The successful candidate will have experience and possess skills to analyse underwriting and claims data, evaluate trends and provide guidance on risk appetite. In return, you'll be offered a rewarding role and experience, a collaborative and growth environment plus future career options in the future.
The work location is only Zurich, Switzerland on a full time basis. What you will do
- Drive underwriting performance management globally
- Provide leadership and coaching on relevant requests for empowerment and across the casualty underwriting teams
- Responsible for interface with Liability/Casualty business unit Senior leaders
- Attract, retain, and develop claims LOB leaders within Underwriting
- Ensure through LOB leads we develop appropriate capabilities to support underwriting requirements across liability lines and drive best practices
- Provide leadership and technical oversight for assigned lines of business
- Develop strategy and participate directly for the largest and most complex requests for empowerment in the group above regional/country authority and on otherwise escalated claims
- Financial accountability for the plans
- Provide, through the Group Head of Casualty, authority levels to countries based on observed technical capabilities
- Engagement with customers, brokers, regulators, rating agencies and other external parties as necessary
- Strong awareness of local market and operational issues and opportunities globally and work through local and global teams to address
- Continually focus on driving alignment between general business management and underwriting on a global and local level with the goal of achieving enhanced performance
- Develop and enhance UW framework, methodologies, minimum standards and KPI's
- Maintain principle-based UW Guidelines and provide confidence of underwriting function compliance and established policies
- Engage on pricing tool structure and technology as well as development roadmap whilst directing countries data completeness and quality improvement efforts
- Ensure appropriate portfolio strategies are in place locally and track and monitor execution
- Drive robust use of the global pricing tools and Insight 360
- Ensure utilization of sensitivity/watch list process
- Develop underwriting LOB plans to support business unit needs
- Support compliance and quality control efforts, e.g., participation on technical/operational
- Lead technical training for the assigned LOB
- Support on individual deals where needed
- Collaborate with Risk Engineering to define the strategy for liability
- Engage with CI analytics team to improve customer insights, enhance underwriting process and decision making about risk selection and pricing and optimize financial performance management and the view on profitability of the book of business
What you will bring
- Lead the functional area by setting individual objectives, reviewing performance/appraisals, and providing on-going feedback on a formal & informal basis so that all staff are aware of what they are required to achieve and how they are performing against their objectives
- Model behaviors that demonstrate commitment to corporate values
- Drive philosophy for performance management into the organization
- Coach and assess subordinates in establishing and leading g high-performing teams
- Resolve significant business issues by creating teams of appropriate internal and external resources
- Take action to manage own personal development and encourage others to do the same
- Higher educational experience
- Significant prior senior managerial/leadership experience
- Strong background in managing large and complex portfolios
- Experience in evaluating complex coverage matters
- Experience working in international environment and ideally different geographies
- Significant large account/commercial experience
- Experience managing within large and complex organizations
- Excellent influence management, negotiation, mediation, and communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Be astute and commercially aware
- Strong English language skills, additional language skills preferred
We look forward to receiving your online application.
Zurich wants to attract the best talent and we acknowledge that talents might not always be available full-time. At Zurich we will consider requests for flexible working. Many of our employees work flexibly in a variety of ways. Please talk to us during the interview about the flexibility you may need.
Explore our new Quai Zurich Campus Information for recruitment agencies
Zurich does not accept any applications from recruitment agencies for this position. We refuse any responsibility for unsolicited applications as well as any associated fees. Why Zurich
At Zurich, we like to think outside the box and challenge the status quo. We take an optimistic approach by focusing on the positives and constantly asking What can go right?
We are an equal opportunity employer who knows that each employee is unique - that's what makes our team so great!
Join us as we constantly explore new ways to protect our customers and the planet .
- Location(s): CH - Zürich, UK - London
- Remote working:
- Schedule: Full Time or Part Time
- Recruiter name: Christopher Parkinson
- Closing date: