At M&G our purpose is to help people manage and grow their savings and investments, responsibly.
As a business, we are continuing to take steps towards a sustainable future, delivering better long-term solutions for our customers and clients and identifying new opportunities to make a positive impact for our environment and communities . To help us achieve our vision we're looking for exceptional people who live our values of care and integrity and who can inspire others; embrace change; deliver results and keep it simple.
We will consider flexible working arrangements for any of our roles and also offer work place accommodations to ensure you have what you need to effectively deliver in your role. Role Context:
The Equity Risk Team, part of the broader Investment Risk team, sits within the business' second line risk function, reporting independently to the CRO. It is responsible for the oversight of equity funds and mandates across a wide range of geographies and strategies. Its key responsibilities include ensuring that risk taking is consistent with the funds' stated objectives and strategy and that the funds maintain appropriate levels of liquidity and diversification. In addition to this, the team work closely with fund managers, providing risk and performance-based insight and analytics to support effective portfolio construction, with the Product and Investment Solutions teams to support the development of new funds and portfolios, and with Sales and Distribution teams to aid with client queries. More recently, the team has taken on responsibility for the oversight of sustainability risk within the funds. Key Responsibilities:
Skills, Experience & Knowledge:
- Producing insightful analysis on specific equity portfolios for discussion with fund managers across a range of products and investment strategies.
- Running risk meetings with fund managers, and engaging with the front office during and outside the formal oversight process. Identify, measure, report on and escalate issues regarding fund performance, investment, liquidity and sustainability risks.
- Presenting at internal committees (Performance and Risk, and the Liquidity Sub-Committee) to flag issues for noting or of concern.
- Gain a deep understanding of the specific fund manager and process risks impacting performance and outcomes of each fund/manager/team and why these are important in the context of relevant fund objectives or mandates.
- Responsible for communicating details of risk modelling methodology, understanding possible flaws in risk models, and pro-actively suggesting remediation's to such flaws.
- Work with the performance teams to link risk analysis with fund performance.
- Participation in cross-departmental initiatives in order to foster greater collaboration with the wider investment risk team.
- Undertaking of independent research aimed at uncovering portfolio/market risk insights which can aid fund managers in improving the investment management process"
- Undertake ad hoc project analysis as necessary to support new product initiatives.
- Undertake ad hoc risk analysis as part of the fund management team dialogue and from Sales/Client interaction.
- Carry out pre-trade analytics on prospective investment strategies and pre-launch modelling on new fund proposals.
- Experience working in an investment facing equity market risk role, other quantitative finance role or in a position through which the candidate has been able to gain a significant understanding of equity portfolio management and equity risk models.
- Excellent communication skills. Comfortable in communicating ideas and analysis at different levels. Ability to relate quantitative output of risk models to fund managers and senior management in a manner that they can understand.
- Ability to work autonomously within a team, to set own priorities and deadlines and respond to requests from other business areas in a timely and professional manner.
- Ability to mentor/develop other team members. Strong team attitude.
- 5+ years of experience in an investment risk role at an asset management house or other financial services organisation.
- Knowledge of modern portfolio theory and previous experience with using Equity fundamental and statistical risk models (such as, BlackRock Aladdin risk models, Barra etc).
- A good degree in a finance related or quantitative subject. Master's level qualification would be a plus and possession of professional qualifications (CFA, FRM, PRM etc.) would be looked upon favourably.
- Experience coding in R, Python, SQL and/or PowerBI would be preferred.
- Experience with sustainable/ESG investing would also be preferred.
Experience Level: Manager / Expert
Recruiter: Helen Simons
We have a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture at M&G plc, underpinned by our policies and our employee-led networks who provide networking opportunities, advice and support for the diverse communities our colleagues represent. Regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, nationality or disability we are looking to attract, promote and retain exceptional people. We also welcome those who take part in military service and those returning from career breaks.