Compliance division, Global Banking & Markets - Public (GBM Public) Compliance, Associate/Vice President, Tokyo Job Summary & Responsibilities
The Goldman Sachs Group is a bank holding company and a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Goldman Sachs provides a wide range of services worldwide to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high net worth individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other major financial centers around the world.
We are committed to growing our distinctive culture and upholding our core values which always place our client's interests first. These values are reflected in our Business Principles, which emphasize integrity, commitment to excellence, innovation and teamwork.
GBM Public Compliance is located on the trading floor and is responsible for comprehensively identifying and managing the regulatory, legal and reputational risks of the GBM Public. The role is focused on providing Compliance coverage for the Global Markets' functions (such as sales and trading) and products (such as fixed income securities and credit derivatives, equities, FICC-equity hybrid products, currencies, commodities, options, futures, and swaps). This is an opportunity for a responsible team player to become a Compliance professional while working on challenging tasks and, depending on their particular responsibilities, interact with sales people and traders as well as other Goldman Sachs compliance and legal professionals, both in and outside Japan. The primary responsibilities of GBM Public Compliance are:
- Provide real-time compliance advice to GBM Public personnel of all levels, with regards to the regulation, internal policies, compliance issues regarding transactions, new products, errors, etc. in order to assist the firm in avoiding regulatory/legal liability and reputational risk
- Implementation of new regulatory framework, global initiatives/projects, etc.
- Review daily trade surveillance reports
- Coordinate issues, findings and practices with colleagues across regions and/or divisions.
- Develop and update compliance-related policies and procedures
- Develop and implement compliance training as part of ongoing Compliance training program tailored to suit the individual requirements of our various businesses, in addition to delivering ad-hoc training as and when required
- Identifying and investigating suspicious activities
- Identify and manage regulatory, legal and reputational risks
- Interface with Japanese regulatory authorities regarding regulatory inspections, questions on regulations, lobbying for regulatory change, etc.
The actual responsibilities assigned to the successful candidate will depend on their experience and the needs of GBM Public Compliance at the time. Candidates who stay in GBM Public Compliance will, over time, have the opportunity to engage in most or all of the activities above. Preferred Qualifications:
- Good communication skills
- Fluency in Japanese and English both in written and verbal
- Good team player - one who is able to prioritize in a fast moving, constantly changing environment
- Ability to work independently and yet remain a strong team player
- Desire to work on the trading floor, including direct interaction with salespersons and traders in a fast-moving, constantly changing environment
- Inquisitive and proactive in identifying risks, gather facts and conduct analysis accurately and in a timely manner
- Ability to think through issues logically and make decisions on their own, propose solutions and make necessary escalation • Good analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to exercise sound and balanced judgment
- Ability to handle multiple projects/tasks independently and work under tight deadlines
- Demonstrates the ability to resolve conflict, deal with confrontation, and remain calm under pressure• Forward looking, focused on streamlining processes and increasing efficiency
- Attention to details
- Good PC skills
- No compliance experience necessary, but candidates with minimum 3-5 year working experience in Compliance, Legal, Regulatory or financial industry, and good financial or regulatory knowledge about global markets products including fixed income, equities and/or derivatives are encouraged to apply
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We're committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers.
We're committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2023. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity