Research Associate – Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG)
About the Equity Research Team:
At Scotiabank, research is a key driver of our Global Equity platform. We specialize in the Canadian market, and we also supply targeted international research covering the United States and Latin America. Our top-ranked research team generates value-added equity ideas and themed publications. As well, we are constantly looking for ways to bring new products to market and provide clients with valuable research ideas and insights. Our equity research products include daily company-specific investment views, monthly and quarterly sector updates, in-depth fundamental research reports, portfolio analysis and recommendations, and equity strategy commentary.
Equity Research Associates enjoy a stimulating and demanding work environment. The Research Associate, ESG works closely with the Head of ESG Research to produce ESG publications and provide our clients with the insights they need to navigate sustainable investing using ESG factors. This position is based in Calgary.
- Conduct in-depth ESG analysis and research using industry and financial sources
- Collect, consolidate, and interpret data
- Collaborate with sector-based research teams to produce ESG tearsheets and collaborative research
- Assist in writing research publications, including topical, theme-based research reports
- Follow overall market and ESG news and evaluate data to assess short- and long-term trends
- Prepare content and presentations for meetings with internal and external clients and conferences
- Communicate and handle enquiries from institutional investors
- Liaise with sales, trading, and other areas of the firm within regulatory guidelines
Qualifications & Skills:
- A university degree in business, engineering, geoscience, environmental science or other ESG-relevant disciplines. A background in computer science is also considered an asset.
- An MBA, Master of Finance or Environmental-Science related degree, CPA, or enrolment in/completion of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program is preferred
- Work experience in investment banking, equity research or ESG-relevant fields would be an asset
- Strong accounting, financial modeling, graphing, and analytical skills plus a creative mindset
- Experience using Bloomberg, FactSet, and Refinitiv
- Excellent command of Microsoft Suite, with an emphasis on Excel and automation capabilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good business judgment and decision-making skills
- Ability to perform under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a team-oriented setting
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a high standard of work
- A high level of energy and a keen desire to learn
Scotiabank rewards initiative with a competitive salary and benefits package. If you are interested in being considered for a Research Associate position, please forward your résumé and cover letter and indicate “ESG Associate” in the subject line.
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences everyone brings to the Bank and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.