Overview of the Performance Analytics Team
The Portfolio Strategy & Risk Group (PSRG) provides top-down guidance on our strategic direction and portfolio objectives. Within PSRG, the Quantitative Strategy and Performance Analytics (QSPA) team actively explore overlays and alternative portfolio strategies to enhance our portfolio returns.
Performance measurement and attribution : Within QSPA, the Performance Analytics (PA) team actively tracks the performance of our overall portfolio as well as certain sub-portfolios against a range of benchmarks and asset allocation strategies. We are also responsible for measuring, tracking, and attributing the performance of Temasek's investment portfolio from both a bottom-up and top-down perspective, and identifying patterns and biases. We also correlate our performance with various exogenous drivers, including but not limited to macroeconomic variables/regimes, style and quantitative factors, and flows.
Actionable insights and what if strategies : Building on an understanding of performance drivers, the PA team uses quantitative techniques and empirical backtests to generate insights/propose strategies to improve investment outcomes, working with the CIO and Sector/Country investing teams. These insights and ideas draw upon internal and external research, standard and alternative data sources, and various analytics engines. The team actively runs what if (i.e., beyond simply what is) back-tests of potential investment strategies to delve into the alpha, hit rate, win-loss ratio, drawdowns (and other risk characteristics) of new investment strategies or value-adding tweaks to existing strategies.
Building analytical tools to share insights and signals : In order to efficiently share these insights, investment ideas, and return-predictive signals, the team also builds analytical performance dashboards for regular reporting to senior management and investment teams. Roles & Responsibilities
- Identify and present analytical insights :
- Deliver and generate impactful data-backed actionable insights, addressing and improving on any behavioral biases, and linking ideas across asset classes when appropriate.
- Leverage internal and external (including alternative) data, as well as internal and external research to produce insights and narratives around market movements, trends, and events relevant to Temasek. Work together with the team to envision and plan the next generation of tools needed to meet Temasek's long-term needs.
- Simulate and run backtests and what if scenarios, refine insights, and fully understand the risk and return implications of various investment ideas and strategies. The ideal candidate would have knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code review, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Project manage several ongoing workstreams/projects, helping to allocate resources and adhering to tight timelines while ensuring high-quality deliverables. The ideal candidate would have some experience with Agile methodologies such as Agile Scrum, Kanban, or any DevOps frameworks.
- People: Stakeholder Engagement & Team Collaboration:
- Build a thorough understanding of our internal partners' approaches to investing. Proactively identify and communicate areas where we can contribute to their strategies and vision, either through existing or new solutions.
- Craft compelling arguments backed by robust analysis to promote the team's ideas to colleagues across the organization, both verbally and in writing. The ideal candidate will adapt messaging to different audiences and situations
- Work closely with the team head and business partners to realize the team's long-term strategic objectives, provide mentorship guidance and leadership to junior colleagues, and contribute to the team's overall research output.
- Work with other stakeholders within the firm (investment teams, macro strategy, risk, digital tech) and outside the firm (data vendors, software suppliers)
- Bachelor's degree in finance/Economics, Business, Computer Science, Engineering, or related fields .
- Minimum 10 years experience in investment/markets role in a relevant capacity
- Ability to code independently in languages such as Python, SQL
- Experience with QlikSense, Snowflake, Tableau, and Git (preferred but not required)
- Experience in assessing systematic (and some discretionary) trade ideas and conducting empirical backtests
- Experience in manipulating and applying statistical techniques to large datasets
- Good intuition around data and visualization
- Proficient in investment performance and risk measurement and attribution methodologies
- Ability to draw investment implications from market and behavioral insights, translating such insights into actionable plans
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A track record of producing written material for internal and external audiences.
- Project Management experience, familiarity with the agile process, and managing teams and deadlines