Job Description: Job Description
DWS Group (DWS) is one of the world's leading asset managers with EUR 928bn of assets under management (as of December 2021). Building on more than 60 years of experience and a reputation for excellence in Germany and across Europe, DWS has come to be recognized by clients globally as a trusted source for integrated investment solutions, stability and innovation across a full spectrum of investment disciplines.
Risk is the independent risk oversight function of DWS, working closely with Portfolio Management, Trading and other support and control functions. The Chief Risk Office (CRO) within DWS is an independent function responsible for protecting the business as well as being a trusted advisor and partner for supporting sustainable growth. The Investment Risk as part of CRO has team members in Frankfurt, Berlin, Luxembourg, London, New York, Zurich and Hong Kong.
DWS wants to innovate and shape the future of investing: with staff from 35 nationalities, speaking more than 75 languages rooted in 22 countries, we are local while being one global team.
As a Risk Manager or a Senior Risk Manager, depending on the relevant working experience, you will be responsible for the assessment, control and governance of investment risks taken within illiquid alternative funds and separately managed accounts, with focus on ESG/sustainability risks for illiquid investments and private debt investments. In your role, you will oversee market, counterparty, credit, and liquidity risks including ESG/sustainability risk factors. You will be instrumental in advancing the risk management framework while supporting growth initiatives within a focus region for the firm. Advantages of the Role
The opportunity to work on a global risk management team provides the following benefits to a suitable candidate:
- Work in a rapidly changing and entrepreneurial business environment across a highly diversified and expanding product offering
- Influence risk management framework design and implementation for illiquid alternatives products
- Interact with DWS regional Portfolio and Product Management
- Review and assess the setup of sustainability risk / adverse impact related due diligence methodologies, scoring cards and rating methodologies as implemented for the illiquid alternative asset classes
- Develop and implement sustainability risk / adverse impact related indicators, measurement methods and risk profiling processes for illiquid alternative asset classes.
- Contribute to the integration of Climate Risk and Sustainability Risk in the Risk Management Framework for illiquid Investment Strategies
- Evolve risk models and procedures to adapt to new local laws and regulations
- Conduct periodic portfolio reviews, model validation, policy update, procedure enhancement and risk reporting
- Represent Investment Risk in regional fora
A suitable candidate has the following core competencies:
- Previous experience with ESG related risk assessments and methodologies for illiquid alternative assets - covering both aspects of double materiality
- Sound knowledge of core risk management concepts, asset management and the regulatory framework
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate complex topics proactively and effectively facilitating decision making
- Strong team player, pro-active attitude, and high level of initiative
- Advanced degree in Economics, Finance or Quantitative fields
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the asset management industry, preferably in a risk management or front-office role
- Technical knowledge of financial markets, valuation methodologies and risk models (e.g., DCF, Multiple Approach, VaR, and stress testing)
- Understanding of key drivers of alternative asset classes with a focus on infrastructure and real estate
- High motivation, ability to be multi-tasking, innovative approach to problem solving
- Industry certifications are a plus (e.g., CFA, FRM, CAIA)
Our values define the working environment we strive to create - diverse, supportive and welcoming of different views. We embrace a culture reflecting a variety of perspectives, insights and backgrounds to drive innovation. We build talented and diverse teams to drive business results and encourage our people to develop to their full potential. Talk to us about flexible work arrangements and other initiatives we offer.
We promote good working relationships and encourage high standards of conduct and work performance. We welcome applications from talented people from all cultures, countries, races, genders, sexual orientations, disabilities, beliefs and generations and are committed to providing a working environment free from harassment, discrimination and retaliation.
Click here to find out more about our diversity and inclusion policy and initiatives.