The objective of the role is to act as a real estate finance/ credit expert and the "go to" professional for the business by collaborating with product and coverage teams to achieve optimal outcomes for customers while remaining within the Bank's risk tolerance levels. Search Criteria:
Responsibilities: Credit & Underwriting Transactions
- A highly experienced Real Estate subject matter expert with significant commercial real estate Credit / lending experience
- Must have significant experience working on big ticket lending preferably in a medium or large bank with deals covering the EMEA region
- Hands-on senior credit professional who is comfortable working on transaction in an end-to-end manner
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Confidence to grasp and communicate trends both at a macro and micro level and understand the interaction between both levels in relation to the real estate sector
Analyse front office credit applications as 2nd Line of Defence through provision of a challenge function as follows:
Credit Portfolio Management
- At early read meetings - utilise sound credit knowledge in the assessment of transactions and seek assistance of front office in focusing on the analysis of key risk factors.
- Exercise independent Delegation Authority regarding portfolio actions including certain waivers and amendments and recommendations to management on matters requiring higher level approval.
- Set strategy for complex deals at structuring stage and giving early steer to front office deal teams on credit appetite and structural issues for advising, leading and underwriting deals in different jurisdictions, products and sectors.
- During credit application, engage constructively with front office and other product teams in supporting / guiding their analysts in undertaking a thorough assessment of a broad range of credit, structural, financial, market, technical, legal and sovereign risk issues.
Training and development
- Set and review credit strategy towards individual transactions and sectors through undertaking a robust assessment and challenge of front office credit applications.
- Articulate risk trends and "lessons learnt" within assigned portfolio to support the possible revision of our risk appetite framework which is subject to semi-annual review.
- Ensure risk ratings are accurate and reflect a current forward-looking view of the obligors in the assigned portfolio.
- Review quarterly self-assessment submissions, DCF calculations and credit cost provisioning for Special Credits.
- Liaise with internal and external reviewers (e.g. auditors and regulators) to validate credit quality, the integrity of the credit process and compliance with regulatory and policy requirements.
Internal discipline, Compliance
- Train and mentor junior analysts in the team - provide review and challenge of their credit papers and helping them to build knowledge across products and industries.
- Support the development and delivery of ongoing training to front office colleagues on credit guidelines, risk analysis, credit write-ups, grading methodology etc.
Skills, Experience and Knowledge Required:
- Comply with all regulatory and internal policies and procedures, regulations and guidelines.
- Serve as a role model for high personal and corporate ethical values and standards of integrity.
- Highly experienced credit professional with a min. 6+ years of financial and credit analysis experience in the commercial real estate sector.
- Ability to grasp trends both at a macro and micro level and understand the interaction between both levels in relation to the real estate sector.
- Sound risk and business judgement on the full spectrum of risk issues arising in the commercial real estate sector.
- Strong analytical skills with good attention to detail, ability to provide big picture decision-making
- Strong written and verbal communication and negotiation skills, with ability to present transactions, their key risks / mitigations, as well as sound recommendations to management in a succinct manner.
- Strong people skills with the ability to interact, managing and nurturing stakeholder relationships at all levels of staff from junior to senior management level, building trust and commanding the respect of key stakeholders.
- Proven experience in independently solving problems and showing leadership during discussions and negotiations with front office.
- Experience in contributing to strategy and vision for the business, and assist in implementing change effectively, exemplifying a passion for excellence.
- University degree, Master's degree or equivalent qualification / experience preferred.