The Public Employees Retirement Association of New Mexico (PERA) is a multi-employer public pension plan serving 90,000+ members with an externally managed portfolio of approximately $17 billion, including PERA Smart Save, a supplemental deferred compensation 457b plan, with approximately 23,000 participants and $754 million in assets.
The mission of the Board of PERA is to preserve, protect, and administer the Trust to meet its current and future obligations and provide quality services to Association members.
In the context of dynamic capital market environment, PERA seeks to position the Fund to provide for liquidity, yield, and capital appreciation principally through prudent capital and risk allocation.
PERA is recruiting for a Portfolio Manager.
Successful candidates will possess a high degree of intellectual curiosity, the ability to think critically and creatively about complex challenges, be able to communicate effectively in both written and verbal contexts, possess a passion for quantitative and qualitative analysis, and have a strong interest in investment strategy and asset manager research. Culture is a focus point at PERA and successful candidates should thrive in a collaborative team setting yet also have the ability to work independently while adapting in a fast-paced, changing environment.
1. Responsible for monitoring, analysis, and research for the Risk Reduction & Mitigation portfolio which consists of core bonds and a complex portfolio of hedge funds.
2. Responsible for due diligence of new and existing investment managers and strategies.
3. Demonstrates expertise in hedge fund strategies and overlays.
4. Responsible for implementation and execution of portfolio, strategy, and investment-specific recommendations.
5. May act as lead project manager on research and operational projects.
6. Responsible for preparation of investment recommendations based on strategic asset allocation decisions.
7. Assist in the validation of monthly and quarterly performance and risk reporting.
8. Assist in internal control and risk management functionality.
9. Assist in PERA’s quantitative analytics efforts through the development of internal modeling capabilities.
10. Corresponds frequently with investment managers, external service providers and industry experts to formulate market opinions, identify investment opportunities and gauge investment trends.
11. Contributes to ongoing process improvements.
12. Attends professional seminars and conferences; establishes professional relationships with institutional investor peers and with tenured industry professionals.
13. Promotes cooperation and collaboration among the Investment Team and with external service providers.
14. Promotes organizational efficiency through high professional standards.
• A Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of five (5) years of directly related professional experience is required; Applicable education includes investment management, business administration, accounting, financial management, economics, mathematics, statistics, or related field. An understanding of financial theory and statistical measures
• Prior experience conducting investment manager research, sourcing, and due diligence in an institutional investment setting (pension fund, endowment, asset management, etc.) is preferred
• MBA or related master’s degree is preferred
• Progress toward Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA), or related designations is preferred.
Required Investment Knowledge:
• Purpose, principle and theory of institutional portfolio management and statistical analysis
• Business, monetary and economic trends and practices
• Security analysis, financial forecasting and modeling
• The position is based in Santa Fe, NM
• Remote work is allowed 3 days per week, candidate must live in the State of New Mexico, per Governor mandated order
• This is an exempt, at-will position
• Salary range is $120,000 - $145,000
Please send a current resume and cover letter to LeAnne Larrañaga-Ruffy at Public Employees Retirement Association of New Mexico. Only candidates chosen to participate in interviews will be contacted. Active recruiting will continue until filled.
PERA New Mexico is committed to the principles of equal employment and workforce diversity