At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
This is a year-long internship. Internship candidates can expect a full-time onsite internship program during the summer and part-time during the school year. The expected start date for this internship will be November 2023.
Carefully selected from universities across the country, our interns bring distinctive ideas and perspectives to our organization. Our employees are passionate about building our emerging talent and future leaders. In addition to their day-to-day tasks, interns participate in professional development workshops, senior leadership Q&A's, volunteer initiatives, networking/social events, and more! Accounting Internship
As an Accounting Intern, you will work alongside your hiring manager, mentor, and team to complete tasks critical for Northwestern Mutual's success. We are here to help you both identify and continue to develop your future career goals and passions. See below for our current list of internship opportunities available in our departments:
Bring Your Best! What this role needs. Minimum qualifications
- Investment Accounting: Assures that all financial activity related to the investment portfolios is accounted for in the general ledger. Monitors the financial results of the investments and prepares financial and compliance reports, analysis and disclosures to meet all reporting requirements.
- Mutual Fund Accounting: Performs fund administration for the Northwestern Mutual Series Fund, the NMIMC Co-Investment Funds, and Separate Accounts. Oversees the Mutual Fund daily accounting, prepares and reports the financial and tax accounting results, and ensure fund compliance with SEC laws, IRS regulations, and internal investment restrictions.
- Tax Accounting: Completes federal, state and local corporate tax returns. Performs reporting and payment of local, state and federal taxes. Prepares estimates of income taxes and year-end tax accruals. Assures compliance with federal, state, local and foreign tax laws and regulations.
Preferred skills and proficiencies
- Pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field from an accredited college or university
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Previous work or classroom experience in one or more of the following: Accounting, Finance
- Employer immigration sponsorship is not available for this role
- Previous Accounting, Finance internship and/or relevant project experience
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving ability
- High degree of self-motivation, passion, and a drive to learn
- Ability to balance multiple priorities
We encourage you to apply! Once your application is reviewed, if selected to move forward, our UR team members will reach out for a call, where we will learn more about you and share internship opportunities aligning to your interests and skillsets and share any next steps of our recruiting process. Who we are
Northwestern Mutual has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for over 160 years through a distinctive planning approach that integrates risk management with wealth accumulation, preservation, and distribution. With more than $290 billion in assets, $30 billion in revenues and more than $1.9 trillion worth of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual delivers financial security to more than 4.6 million clients. People are the power behind Northwestern Mutual, and diversity makes us better. We are committed to reflecting and serving the marketplace. We do so by attracting and improving the engagement of those who bring their outstanding perspectives, ideas, and beliefs. At Northwestern Mutual, people matter. And you'll be working for a company that's consistently voted among the most admired" in the nation. We invite you to explore your career interests with us. Compensation Range:
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
N ort hwester n Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.