KPMG China provides multidisciplinary services from audit and tax to advisory, with a strong focus on serving our clients' needs and their industries. Not only do we have an overriding commitment to provide the highest quality services for our clients, but we also strive to become a responsible corporate citizen that has a positive impact on our environment and community. At KPMG, you'll translate insights into action and reveal opportunities for all-our teams, our clients and our world. Service Line Overview
The Climate Modelling Team leads KPMG's work on modelling transition and physical climate risk. As a fast-growing team focused on one of the defining issues of our time and directly supported by the senior management of KPMG, we present an exciting opportunity to potential hires, both in terms of professional opportunity and potential for real-world impact.
Our team has been formed to help clients across corporates and financial services respond to the immense, systemic challenges posed by climate change. Amongst other activities, we help clients to identify and quantify climate risks and opportunities faced by their businesses to meet regulatory, investor and stakeholder demands; analyse and assess the range of mitigation and adaptation strategies available to address climate risks (including the adoption of net zero strategies, carbon market participation and transition planning); ensure business are positioned to capture the opportunity from climate change; implement the strategies; and, finally, embed the risk, strategy, targets and governance into financial reporting, helping to pave the way to a low carbon economy.
Our vision is for the Boards of all companies to consider climate change as a key part of their Enterprise Risk Management and business strategy. The team has received extremely positive feedback from clients and is currently working a fast growing roster of organisations, playing a key role in KPMG's goal of delivering profit with purpose.
We are looking for hires who are passionate about climate change, regard this as a systemic issue and who can fit in well to a dynamic, enthusiastic and highly capable team. If this is sounds like you, please get in touch! Key Responsibilities
The role is for a Manager/ Associate Director with significant climate physical risk modelling expertise that would be involved in both local and international delivery and integrated into a climate and decarbonisation team.
The role will involve enhancing our climate physical risk modelling capabilities, collaborating with third-party data and climate scenarios, academia, NGOs and working closely with KPMG's broader climate change modelling practice. It is not a requirement that this individual is 100% dedicated to do climate physical risk modelling but we expect a 100% allocation for climate related work.
Experience & Background
- Be aware and evaluate third-party climate physical data and scenario providers
- Participate in regional / global fora and initiatives around physical risk modelling and scenarios
- Drafting methodology papers and client reports
- Conducting technical modelling and presenting to internal and external stakeholders
- Contributing to proposals and pitches
- Contributing to thought leadership around climate risk and opportunities
- Managing engagement risk process
- Managing engagements including scoping, resourcing, budget monitoring, analysis, report writing
- Managing the delivery of project deliverables and advising persuasively, earning the position of a trusted advisor
- Developing the team culture and inspiring and empowering team members to be the best
- Providing coaching and training to other team members
- Participating in the professional development of KPMG Climate Risk and Decarbonisation team members and assist with the recruiting and training of new staff
- Support colleagues in the respective region
- MSc in a climate change or a similar discipline
- No less than 3 years of experience working with another professional services firm, financial institution or Think Tank in a climate risk team/unit
- Excellent data science, statistics, and analysis skills
- Experience working with large and complex datasets
- Solid understanding of climate data, projections, modelling and analysis, ideally with a regional focus
- Familiarity with spatial datasets. Prior experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) preferable
- Understanding of assessing and managing climate risks, and of academic literature related to climate models, databases, projections, regulatory requirements etc
- Proficiency in R, Python, or other programming languages
- Ability to work across diverse projects, with other skillsets
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing
- An ability to explain complex calculations clearly to non-quants and apply modelling concepts and techniques to real world situation
- Proven experience of managing teams
- Proven track record leading and managing teams, including:
- Ability to structure complex work programmes
- Ability to operate in the detail and to understand the big picture
- Experience in developing more junior colleagues
At KPMG China, we are committed to being an equal opportunity employer, with zero tolerance for any form of discrimination against any persons. It is important for us to create an inclusive, diverse and agile workplace for our people to develop and thrive at both a personal and professional level.
We strive to make ESG (environmental, social and governance) a watermark running through our organisation; from empowering our people to become agents of positive change, to providing better solutions and services to our clients. To lead by example, we launched Our Impact Plan (OIP) which includes our ESG commitments and progress across four key pillars - Planet, People, Prosperity and Governance.
We encourage you to come as you are, and we welcome all qualified candidates to apply, and hope you unlock opportunities with us. Visit KPMG China website for more company information.
Please note that all information in this form has been voluntarily supplied and will be used by KPMG for selection purposed only.