Department: Investment Operations Region 1, Infrastructure Investment Department Job Type: Global Recruitment Closing Date: 19 September 2023 Investment Operations Associate / Specialist - Energy
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow-infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 109 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and rated Triple A by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients' needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
AIIB's Investment Operations are divided into two regions, 1 and 2. Each region is led by a Vice President (VP) and reporting staff includes technical specialists and bankers. Region 1 is responsible for South East Asia, the Pacific Islands and South Asia (except Pakistan and Afghanistan), while Region 2 covers Pakistan, Afghanistan, Central Asia, East Asia, West Asia, Europe, Africa and Latin America.
Infrastructure Investment Department is scaling up its support for energy sector programs in client countries and is working to recruit experienced and talented specialists with energy sector skills aligned with generation, transmission, and distribution. Experience working in traditional sources of energy (hydro, natural gas, etc.) and/or various types of renewable energy will also be considered.
The Investment Operations Associate/Specialist - Energy will contribute to AIIB's overall lending program by supporting the planning, design, preparation and implementation of projects and programs that meet the rapid growth demands of the energy sector and help improve production and consumption efficiency in client countries. The Associate/Specialist will be responsible for the delivery of AIIB's energy sector lending program, and its implementation, given the increased demand for more efficient generation systems, the value chain of transmission and distribution, regional energy trade, fair energy pricing and sustainable tariff policies, among others. Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the design, preparation, and delivery of energy projects, focusing on quality and delivery of development outcomes.
- Coordinate energy sector projects and programs under implementation to ensure appropriate technical quality and consistency with project objectives. This entails reviewing the technical designs of the projects, implementation arrangements, the adequacy of procurement and fiduciary arrangements for the projects in coordination with other team members.
- Lead and/or contribute to energy sector analyses of specific countries. Identify, conceptualize and prepare projects to:
- (i) advise clients on feasibility studies, technical design and cost-effective analysis leading to investment prioritization;
- (ii) undertake technical and economic analysis of project investments and programs;
- (iii) review and assess implementation capacity of project counterparts and support institutions/agencies; and
- (iv) design practical implementation plans focused on getting results;
- Work with clients to develop investment strategies that would pursue the most effective approach to achieve energy efficiency under various economic and environmental conditions; and
- Supervise projects and programs under implementation to ensure appropriate technical quality and consistency with project objectives.
- Minimum 5 to 8 years of relevant working experience in the energy sector and undertaking economic feasibility studies, technical analysis, and contract management for energy sector investment.
- Extensive experience working in infrastructure development or management of infrastructure projects in developing countries or assessment and introduction of energy technologies to developing countries.
- Relevant experience in South Asia and development institutions would be favourably considered.
- Familiarity with various types and schemes of energy activities and development in general, and demonstrable in-depth knowledge of at least one type of energy activity.
- Strong organizational and project management skills to conduct day-to-day management of a large and complex project portfolio.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English, knowledge of a language(s) of a country in South Asia would be an advantage.
- Master's degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline such as economics or energy engineering (e.g., all types of relevant energy and power such as various kinds of renewables, , transmission, distribution, EV charging, etc.).
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
Join us and help create a prosperous and sustainable Asia while growing your career in a diverse and innovative environment.