Job description Some careers grow faster than others.
If you're looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
HSBC Commercial Banking serves millions of businesses ranging from small, to large corporates, providing commercial customers with a full range of banking services including Global Trade and Receivables Finance, RMB solutions, multi-currency business accounts, payments and cash management, and wealth management and insurance, , as well as a comprehensive range of financing solutions. With dedicated Relationship Managers and Product Specialists providing local support and advice in over 60 countries and territories, HSBC helps connect customers to opportunities.
We are currently seeking a high calibre professional to join our team as a Head of Wholesale Client Services, Singapore + South and South East Asia
. Role Purpose
The role holder will lead the combined Wholesale Client Services (WCS) function for Singapore + South and South East Asia region supporting Wholesale Businesses (CMB, GB). The role holder will be the accountable business service owner in South & South East Asia for all onboarding and client servicing activity, including the Onboarding, Servicing, Existing to Bank, Credit Analysis Unit (CAU) and Issuer Services Operations sub value streams within the overall WCS Value Stream. The role holder will be accountable for all WCS value stream customer and business outcomes (incl. revenue, cost, efficiency, risk).
The Head of Wholesale Client Services, South & South East Asia role is a senior management role responsible for executing the overall strategic direction of the Client Services function and determining an appropriate future state for the provision of client services across CMB and Banking in the region across Australia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Bangladesh, Mauritius, New Zealand, Sri Lanka & Maldives, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and Philippines. Since the role will be located in Singapore, the head will also dual hat Singapore head of client service role.
The role holder will work closely with COOs, Business Heads, Digital Business Services and our Client Services teams to ensure consistency of service and ensure best practice is applied. The role holder will report functionally into Global Head of Client Services.
The Head of Wholesale Client Services, South & South East Asia will ensure delivery of a consistently excellent client servicing proposition for Wholesale clients and have direct regional oversight of Onboarding, Servicing, Credit Analysis Unit, Issuer Services Operations, Regulatory Business Support, Enhanced Due Diligence and Service Management teams in the region. Based in Singapore, the role holder will have regional accountability for South & South East Asia and be an escalation point for business issues.
The role is intended to operate with a strong commercial focus ensuring alignment to the objectives of the business, whilst maintaining strict adherence to the firm's control principles at all times. Governance and Committee Memberships
Standing member of the Wholesale Client Services Management Committee in addition to attending/managing a number of specific sub-committees related to remit. Likely to also attend key South & South East Asia CMB and GB meetings and forums in relation to client services activity alongside colleagues from Digital Business Services. A ccountabilities for Business, Customers and Stakeholders
Leadership & Teamwork
- Build and execute the Wholesale Client Services strategy in South & South East Asia, gaining agreement and buy in from key stakeholders and build a runway of activity to execute against this
- Accountable for the provision of Onboarding, Servicing, Credit Analysis Unit, Regulatory Business Services, Enhanced Due Diligence and Issuer Services Operations services to the Wholesale businesses (CMB and GB) in line with agreed OKRs, SLAs and KPIs
- Oversee provision of services via Digital Business Services ensuring effective relationship management and performance management activity is in place
- Establish and implement a control framework/methodology which both highlights and manages Client Services risks
- Oversight of a substantial programme of change oversight/delivery accountability for other strategic change initiatives in the region
- Provide guidance to CMB and GB regarding new Client and/or new Product account set up, including KYC, regulatory classifications, FATCA
- Design and produce robust MI measuring performance and risk against agreed thresholds
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders including Business COOs, RMs, FCC, Business Services, Operational Risk and Audit
- Budgetary control and cost ownership for the function
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives across end to end servicing activities to deliver a high and consistent standard of service
- Actively participate in relevant regulatory change initiatives, compliance and operational risk related forums / committees
- Ensure market and regional teams are operating in alignment to global principles and target operating model in order to maintain a clear and consistent service provision
- Lead the South & South East Asia WCS function and value stream, supporting the CMB and GB businesses
- Lead and develop the Wholesale Client Services teams in Australia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Bangladesh, Mauritius, New Zealand, Sri Lanka & Maldives, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and Philippines
- Build and optimise a future state operating model which will include reviewing current construct in relation to location strategy and relationship with Digital Business Services
- Lead, motivate and inspire a high calibre Client Services team by setting high standards for recruiting, documentation, data analysis and validation, and internal team governance
- Develop critical skillsets in team members and provides a stimulating work environment to attract key talent;
- Act as a thought leader at executive management level in relation to areas of focus for Client Services
- Champion the voice of the customer and builds a culture of balancing commercial and client/customer imperatives at all times
- Champion agile ways of working across the WCS value stream
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction to regional and market based client services teams to drive consistency of client/customer experience
- Develop the profile and reputation of Wholesale Client Services as a function in the region amidst structures which are disparate across geographies
- Thorough understanding of the Group and the GB and CMB businesses, including products, propositions, services, systems, sales process, relationship management models, the financial services landscape and competitor developments;
- Highly developed understanding of end to end client/customer life cycle in relation to commercial and global banking onboarding and product fulfilment
- Exposure to Middle Office technology such as Client Vision, CRT, Global Links and ClientSphere and other HSBC systems such as HUB, HORIS etc.
- Experience of managing client onboarding and servicing activities, and operations with a clear understanding of the likely risk landscape and how best to build effective controls across the client lifecycle
- Experienced change leader with proven experience of sponsoring complex change. Experience of Agile working and process optimization activity is highly desirable
- Proven ability managing in a large and complex operational environment
- Outstanding organisational and planning skills with experience of management of multiple complex programmes/business transformations, with knowledge on when and how to re-prioritise, or escalate as required;
- Strong commercial mindset to ensure build, interlock and oversight of all associated cost, budget, FTE and Governance related to multiple programmes of work;
- Knowledge of the changing regulatory environment especially in the financial services sector.
- Strong influencer who can bring together disparate and virtual teams and coalesce them around a common goal
Role Attributes Experience
- Advanced leadership, management, collaboration and coaching skills with experience of leading and directing cultural change within a large organisation;
- Proven problem solving skills with ability to consider alternative and innovative solutions;
- Strong relationship management and influencing skills, outstanding interpersonal and communication skills with a proven ability to communicate effectively and confidently at all levels;
- Experience of senior management responsibility of a large function / portfolio
Broad and comprehensive understanding of concepts and principles within multiple disciplines or a fast changing discipline Business / Commercial knowledge
The role requires a comprehensive understanding of how all value units / products / regions / legal entities collectively integrate, alongside a comprehensive knowledge of the industry in order to contribute to the commercial objectives of HSBC. Leadership
Management responsibility of multiple teams, through subordinate managers, with accountability for independent budgets Problem Solving
Covers a wide range of diverse activities that require complex judgements and solutions based on conceptual thought and strategic vision and analysis Innovation
Is proactive in developing ideas, continuously searching for improvements in techniques which add value to the business and has full responsibility for implementation Accountability / decision making
Latitude to make decisions within the value unit / region / product / legal entity strategy guidelines. There is direction from the long-term business goals with few or no policies to direct how the role should work. Strategic Responsibility
The role holder must possess a high level of sensitivity to the audience, be able to modify the beliefs and opinions of others, and negotiate with significant latitude for the final outcome. Communication
The job is likely to be involved in both internal and external negotiations which will have a major impact on the function, and possibly the entire business unit.
To be considered for this role, the relevant rights to work in Singapore are required. You'll achieve more when you join HSBC.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.