Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you'll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it - we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover. Job Description: SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, HEAD OF CONSUMER BANKING TECHNOLOGY
As part of this transformation and growth journey, Discover is seeking a Senior Vice President to lead the Consumer Banking division's technology organization on an end-to-end basis. This leader will lead a team of over 2,100 people-500+ employees and growing, accounting for approximately one-third of Discover's technology team-and will be responsible for all of the technology platforms supporting Discover's consumer financial business, including Card and Bank Lending products, as well as Deposits. This executive will work in close partnership with peers on the Consumer Bank leadership team to fully integrate Discover's product and technology strategies, aligning around key objectives and ways of working.
This new SVP, Head of Consumer Banking Technology, will be a modern engineering leader with a strategic vision for the future of technology and how it will impact Discover, its clients, and the broader ecosystem at which Discover sits at the center. This individual must be a technical visionary who stays at the leading edge of innovation while appreciating the company's legacy platforms with an eye towards optimization , retaining a pragmatic focus on value and sustainability of process and solutions.
As a member of Discover's Management Committee, the SVP level at Discover carries an expectation beyond consumer banking technology group; an expectation of transformational leadership, able to fluently communicate and influence with non-technical " c-level " colleagues as easily as with highly specialized engineers. They must live the Discover Behaviors, working to succeed together through being a good partner, creating positive energy, and developing others . Key Responsibilities
- Partner with colleagues on the Consumer Banking leadership team to shape the division's technology strategy with a focus on efficiency, effectiveness, and customer experience-in an open, communicative, collaborative way, taking inputs from a variety of stakeholders to align.
- Prioritize investments in such a way that balances the business priorities of the Consumer Banking division and Discover's broader enterprise technology goals, effectively managing the tradeoffs involved and evaluating the value created as critical input. Develop a delivery roadmap that reflects these priorities.
- Identify opportunities for simplification of the technology model and estate at Discover, including decommissioning legacy, re-platforming current technology, and identifying reusable components across business lines.
- To effectively measure progress, this leader must develop metrics for tracking success-clear scorecards, tracking milestones, metrics, and value for the Consumer Banking technology function.
- Build a world-class, diverse engineering team with a range of skills across the discipline such that the impact of the function can be scaled consistently across functions, business lines and regions internationally.
- Establish and manage workforce planning initiatives to ensure that Consumer Banking can achieve its goals by having the right people with the right skills and competencies in the right places at the right time.
- Implement solutions in line with Discover's technology architecture plans, leveraging public/private cloud, cloud enabled software, CI/CD pipeline, open-source technology, and advanced analytics.
- Enhance software delivery practices, processes, and tools to drive adoption of the Discover Management System (a product and value-centric, empowered teams' model), agile, and value stream principles throughout the company.
- Stay abreast of technology trends and innovations that Discover can adopt to further its position as a technology leader in financial services; promote Discover's innovative leadership by participating in technology conferences and forums.
- This role is based at global headquarters in Chicago, IL and must be able to travel internationally as required.
- Fifteen years of technology leadership experience
- Experience in group-level or division-level technology leadership roles (e.g., global CIO, divisional CIO, CTO, etc.)
- Six years of experience managing portfolios of complex financial transaction processing applications
- Experience with cards platforms preferred but work with other high availability systems in a highly regulated industry to be considered.
- Experience leading a legacy platform modernization program
- Experience leading programs to decompose large, monolithic legacy applications and migrating to the cloud.
- Experience with leading, modern technologies
- Public cloud, open source, advanced analytics, AI/ML technology, etc.
- Experience with modern application engineering practices and product centric value streams
- Environments with mature product-led agile delivery practices in fully integrated teams.
- Team leadership experience of organizations of more than 800 employees
- Including full-time, contract, and vendor resources.
- Bachelor's degree in STEM field required; master's degree preferred.
- Concentration in computer science or engineering preferred.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
All Discover employees place our customers at the very center of our work. To deliver on our promises to our customers, each of us contribute every day to a culture that values compliance and risk management.
Discover is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Discover is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other legally protected status. (Know Your Rights)