Job description Some careers grow faster than others.
If you're looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
Wealth and Personal Banking (WPB) is our new global business combining Retail Banking and Wealth Management; and Global Private Banking, to become one of the world's largest global wealth managers with USD1.4 trillion in assets. Across Asia, where wealth pools are growing faster than in any other region, HSBC's wealth revenues grew 12% in 2019 (year-on-year) to USD5.7 billion. Our dedicated colleagues serve millions of customers worldwide across the entire spectrum of private wealth, ranging from personal banking individuals and families, through to business owners, investors and ultra-high-net-worth individuals. We provide products and services such as bank accounts, credit cards, personal loans and mortgages, as well as asset management, insurance, wealth management and private banking, that best suit our customers' needs.
We are currently seeking a high caliber professional to join our team as Head of Open Banking, Digital Assets and Government Initiatives. Role Purpose
This role is responsible for
Key responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Leading the implementation and commercialization of key new initiatives aligned with the HKMA "Fintech 2025 - all banks go Fintech" programme focused on (not limited to) open banking and digital assets
- Driving innovation through internal collaboration (GLCM, CMB, etc.) and external partnerships
- Defining the strategy and leading the implementation of regulatory as well as commercial opportunities for Open Banking in HK in close co-operation with AMH entity Digital office and other LoBs
- Drive and implement commercial use cases leveraging emerging technologies (such as ChatGPT, Digital Assets, CBDCs, etc.)
- Maintaining and building new strategic partnerships with Fintech ecosystem that adds value to the business
Principal Accountabilities: Impact on the Business
- Act as a Business Outcome lead for AMH WPB Open Banking agenda, both from regulatory and discretionary perspective to deliver key tangible outcomes to the business
- The primary focus for the role will be the full ownership of the Open Banking agenda in HK WPB business, with the focus on thought leadership and tangible delivery of business outcomes in Open API space.
- Design and deliver a local strategic roadmap on strategic initiatives (e.g. ChatGPT, AI, etc.) and set the delivery agenda
- Serve as the Chair Person at HKAB's on related Taskforce to lead the industry development of Open APIs and digital assets
- Design and act as a SME for the AMH WPB business in terms of Digital Assets development that will enhance the business, bring commercial sense and pull us further away from the competition. Work closely with Global Digital Assets team and regulatory compliance to define the tangible use cases and lead the implementation in AMH WPB
- Be the voice of influence for Web 3.0 by defining its commercial viability and rationale for the AMH WPB business. Act as an SME for the Web3 to educate the business and actively search for opportunities to implement Web 3 use cases that will add value to our customers and the franchise
- Represent AMH at regional and global forums to provide market updates, contribute to global views and strategic commercial objectives around Open Banking, Open APIs, Digital Assets and wider Web3 ecosystem
- Own the strategic view of new industry trends including but not limited to the likes of Digital Identity, CBDC, digital assets, etc. and work with the global teams to get local market requirements onto the delivery agenda
- Own the digital partnership strategy that would enable the commercialisation and contributes thought leadership at regional and global forums
- Expand beyond the regulatory mandate & consultations on digital currencies (CBDC, Stable coins & crypto, etc.), to explore innovative opportunities in Digital Identities, digital ownership and Web 3.0 trends leveraging block chain technologies
- Dive innovation through partnerships
- Leverage Open Banking to identify capabilities, proposition & commercial opportunities, support the creation of business cases with business stakeholders, lead onboarding, raise funding & mobilize resources
- Responsible for implementation of POC and pilots as well as assessment of outcomes and success criteria's
- Manage the relationship with partners and collaborate across lines of business (CMB, GLCM, MSS, etc.)
Customers / Stakeholders
- Development and delivery of a strategic plan for AMH Open Banking initiative, owning its aspirations and execution end to end
- Own the relationship with regulatory bodies to ensure Open Banking dialogue is continued and its value to AMH is maximised
- Act as a digital SME support to WPB business leadership to identify threats & opportunities over multiple time horizon and contribute towards the strategy and related business case development
- Implementation and delivery of open finance and embedded finance roadmap in coordination with other business entities within the bank
- Represent WPB interests internally, with industry participants and regulatory bodies in committees, forums, working groups and consultations
- Propose, gain support and deliver initiative promoting innovation & research activities (POC, pilots, partnerships, competitions, etc.)
- Be the key risk procedure SME and support teams in reporting and managing risk responsibilities
- Responsible for establishing regular reporting frameworks with stakeholders in the design and implementation of industry initiatives
- Responsible for obtaining buy-in from and influence senior management and stakeholders for all key initiatives, commitments, changes including requirements, quality assurance plans, budget, schedule, scope, risk mitigation and contingency plans.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Heads of WPB
- Regulatory Compliance
- Digital Risk Group Stakeholders
- CPM and Product Management Function
- Transformation and VS owners
- Identifying key risks, issues and interdependencies and provide appropriate mitigation strategies
- Supporting audit / independent programme assessments as required
- Work with Digital Risk Group and other key functions to define the optimal balance between security, customer convenience and work processes
Requirements Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Strong understanding and experience of industry bodies and the regulatory landscape. Ideally from past roles having exposure to dealing with regulatory bodies
- Full understanding of Open Banking landscape in HK with the view on its opportunities
- Strong experience from Fintech or VC space driving successful digital partnerships
- Ability to demonstrate very solid understanding how successful digital strategies are being defined and executed. Ideally with hands-on experience
- Familiar with the opportunity and impacts of new emerging technologies e.g. Digital Assets, CBDCs, Digital Identity
- Exposure Artificial Intelligence, API-driven Banking, etc.
- An ability to influence and drive in a leadership position
- Have a strong opinion on the direction the industry should go to drive forward our Digital agenda
- Have a good understanding of digital technologies and their potential use cases and impact to both consumers and the Bank
- Experience in developing internal communications; plans, wins, challenges, local market success, and management meeting with markets
- Proven ability to navigate and deliver results in a matrixed organisation
- High level of influence and personal gravitas
You'll achieve more when you join HSBC.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.