Job description Some careers grow faster than others.
If you're looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
HSBC Private Bank seeks to be the leading international private bank for business owners and their families. It provides clients with wealth, business and family succession solutions in the largest and fastest growing markets around the world. At HSBC Private Bank, we put our clients at the centre of everything we do.
We are currently seeking a high calibre professional to join our team as a GPB SGP Head of Platform and Business Management. Role
GPB SG Head of Platform and Business Management is a key member of the GPB Singapore Leadership team, reporting functionally to the GPB ASP Head of Platform and Business Management and locally to Head of Private Banking South East Asia.
The individual will work together with GPB ASP Head of Platform and Business Management and Head of Private Banking SEA to deliver and achieve the business' objectives and strategies within the risk appetite set by GPB.
He/she will manage all front-to-back business support functions in-country, including Business Management, Client Service Executives, CLM, CCO and Digital/Platform/Transformation. The role holder will also be responsible for 1st line risk management, 1st line governance, and strategy implementation and will play a lead role in ensuring effective risk management and for the business to remain complaint with all Group and Regulatory requirements.
He/she will also play a key role supporting the business in delivering on its performance objectives and in delivery and implementing of global programs/initiatives in the region in accordance to Business priorities and strategies.
Achieving such an outcome requires the individual to bring a strategic and transformative mind set to the job, while maintaining focus on operational continuity and risk management. The job holder will need to work closely with the other teams in the region to ensure a consistent and regional approach to any decision taken. Primary Responsibilities Impact on the Business
Customer & Stakeholder management
- Broad responsibility as part of the Senior Management team in determining the strategic direction and change imperatives of the private bank in Singapore;
- Ensuring an operating environment across all of the banks functions that is aligned or is being changed to facilitate the bank's strategic agenda
- Responsibility for ensuring operations which are compliant with regulations are efficient, effective and adequately controlled
- Maintain HSBC internal control standards, including the timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators
- Ensure the effective mobilisation, resourcing, governance and delivery of execution strategy and implementation plans
- Ensure transformation initiatives are fully embedded, creating sustainable change
- Identify opportunities to drive efficiency gains and cost reduction across the region, resulting in sustainable saves and achievement of cost targets (e.g. org design, offshoring, etc.) across the whole GPB business
- Oversee day to day operational activities and implementation of technology and operations solutions
- Team leadership and management of direct reports, including effective performance management, talent management and succession planning
- Carrying out regular reviews to ensure business area is working effectively, agreeing remedial action and supporting and monitoring action taken. Such reviews will depend on business area but could include reviews relating to costs, efficiency, process improvements, system requirements, etc.
- Ensures that Singapore complies with all appropriate conduct regulations and obligations ensuring that our strategy, business models and the decisions we make deliver fair treatment of our clients and do not disrupt market integrity
Leadership & Teamwork
- Supports the GPB SG business, enabling the business to achieve its goals
- Partners with the heads of GPB, Group, Global Functions etc to ensure they obtain the required support from the business, and deliver the required service to the business
- Ensures that the needs of external stakeholders in the Group, or external stakeholders such as regulators, are understood and satisfied efficiently and effectively
- Manages and leads a cohesive team that is aligned to the business areas they support and works collaboratively with colleagues regionally
- Ensure a consistent management approach is applied within and across the CSE teams including with objective setting, performance management, career development and remuneration
- Ensuring operational effectiveness & control
- To ensure adequate operational controls exist throughout Singapore's' activities
- Exercises tight cost controls across the business (direct and indirect cost), on both project-related (CTB) costs and BAU costs
Requirements Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Extensive knowledge of Private Banking business, particularly in Asia (min. 10 years of experience with a major global bank or a top tier management consulting firm)
- Graduate degree from a top tier university, master's degree a plus
- Proven experience as a senior manager in banking (COO area)
- Deep insights into industry and key geographical wealth markets as well as customer trends and competition
- Knowledge of change management techniques and pitfalls
- Experience in overseeing complex projects and initiatives from start to finish
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic leader, willing to champion the unpopular if right for the business; and the ability to persuade and motivate individuals to support a cross team agenda
- Ability in decision-making and complex problem-solving
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to effectively manage multiple demands, shifting priorities and tight timelines
- Flexible and adaptable nature to manage a multi-faced role with changing priorities and assignments that are complex, unpredictable and time-sensitive
- Strong executive communication skills and consultative approach to partner with a multitude of stakeholders
- Critical thinker and is not afraid of challenging others' ideas
- Collaborative nature, able to build effective relationships with multiple stakeholders and peers internally across multiple functions and business lines and effectively influence to achieve results
- Strong/confident communications and presentations skills
- Emotional intelligence and experience of working with different cultures
- Commercial awareness/orientation - based on significant banking or investment experience
- Willingness to take (calculated) risks
- Perform mentoring/coaching role to staff members and inspiring and developing team members
- Focus on delivering to high standards and quality
To be considered for this role, the relevant rights to work in Singapore are required. You'll achieve more when you join HSBC.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.