DST is looking for an Investment Analyst to join our Investment Management Division/Public Equity team.
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week) with State Benefits, including health insurance, paid vacation, paid sick time, paid holidays, as well as retirement.
~ This position has been designated as Exempt in accordance with North Carolina General Statute § 126-5 (c12); ~ In furtherance of the Department of State Treasurer's existing ethics and transparency programs, this position is subject to the ethics and conflict of interest requirements of the Department of State Treasurer Supplemental Ethics Policy (Tier 2 Ethics Policy). https://www.nctreasurer.com/media/3288/download?attachment
The Investment Analyst assists the Portfolio Managers in monitoring and trade support of the internally managed investment strategies by performing trade entry, corporate action processing, portfolio analysis, systems, and databases management, liaising with internal and external service providers, and maintaining procedures and desktop guides related to internal management.
The candidate in this role will be expected to provide investment support on all external public equity investment strategies (domestic, and international) including but not limited to portfolio and performance analysis and manager due diligence.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Create, prepare, and evaluate daily internal equity trade reports received from the custodian, middle/back-office service provider, and internal risk and asset allocation team.
- Assist the Portfolio Manager in determining daily cash flow, investing surplus cash, and evaluating dollars needed to satisfy daily asset class obligations.
- Perform daily maintenance functions associated with portfolio rebalance, including but not limited to trade entry and reporting, trade list generation, and performing research/response to corporate actions.
- Maintain technical proficiencies in the use of electronic trading systems, algorithmic-based trading, all relevant trading venues, portfolio optimization, pre-and post-trade analytics, and associated operational processes.
- Utilize advanced analytical skills and statistical/regression analysis to support Portfolio Manager.
- Evaluate equity asset allocation and attribution analysis.
- Calculate and track portfolio performance and risk parameters
- Perform portfolio optimization, econometric modeling, and regression analysis.
- Analyze and monitor external manager fees and trade costs.
- Assist with qualitative external manager monitoring, search, and due diligence
- Maintain investment files related to external managers within the division's CRM system.
- Prepare specialized reports for the asset class and assist in the creation of investment memos/recommendations, including the creation of charts and graphs for presentations.
- Collaborate with internal and external entities including legal, financial operations, Supplemental Retirement Plans, consultants, custody banks, broker-dealers, and other vendor service providers.
- Assist the Investment Director of Public Equity with administrative, analytical, and research support, on occasion
- Assist the Supplemental Retirement Plan in the investment monitoring and support of the 401(k), 457, and 403(b) Plans
**Less than 25% of travel required**
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Professional understanding of the institutional investment marketplace pertaining to the application of principles of modern portfolio management theory, accounting, analysis of financial data, investment operations and the ability to develop strategy and analytics applicable to equity trading.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical functions as well as applicable knowledge of information technology to meet work needs.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain proactive, concise and comprehensive communication and transparency across the Department on matters of a complex nature in written form and demonstrates effective leadership, collaboration, and a sense of community.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex financial data on the relationships between investment strategies, economic conditions, and investment performance clearly to the Investment Management Division, Investment Committee and Investment Advisory Committee, Investment Operations and Financial Operations.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate during negotiations with broker dealers, service providers, and other organizations within the investment industry.
- Good understanding of potential investment strategies that may be utilized and choose appropriate strategies that fit portfolio objectives.
- Experience analyzing each of the factors associated with risk and return and understand how to aggregate these pieces into a balanced portfolio.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret financial and economic data and the skills needed to determine the relationships between investment strategies, economic conditions, and investment performance.
- Proven ability to independently schedule tasks, gather required data, resources and materials to complete work tasks for self and assist other analysts.
- Proven ability to work independently and utilize own judgment in determining direction.
- Proficient trading background.
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel and Bloomberg experience.
How to Apply
You may submit a resume through the CFA Institute Career Center! Alternatively, you may submit an application online: Click here
General inquiries and resumes can be sent directly to DST HR Consultant: Shannon Boatwright, at (919) 814-3828 or email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
The State of North Carolina, and the Department of State Treasurer, is an Equal Opportunity Employer