Are you passionate about accelerating the transition to a low-carbon economy?
Earth Finance is hiring a Director or Senior Director Growth Equity Investing to support our growing business. We prefer this associate to be based in New York, NY, Boston, MA, Stamford, CT, or Seattle, WA – but are open to remote candidates for this role.
What we’re looking for:
This is an opportunity to join a newly formed team within the capital business. We are looking for an experienced private market investor who is ready to embrace the start-up culture and dig in. This individual will be critical in the development, management, and evolution of our inaugural investment product & customized partnership portfolios. The role will have a seat on the investment committee and have material input into portfolio construction and management. This opportunity is for a seasoned investor or portfolio manager looking to build and manage an investment portfolio of opportunities aligned with a low carbon economy. We are looking for the right candidate to join us on this journey –from a skillset, mindset and culture fit.
Our ideal candidate:
We’re looking for a candidate who wants to invest with the goal of superior financial returns AND real-world impact. Someone who wants to leave the world a better place than they found it through the facilitation of capital to cutting edge technologies, product and service models. A team member who wants to embrace the start-up culture and join us on the journey of building a sustainable growth equity strategy.
The ideal candidate is quantitatively driven with deep investment and valuation experience across venture, growth, and/or buyout equity. This role is for someone who can run deal sourcing, due diligence, execution, portfolio management, and exits. Strong written & verbal skills are critical as the role will require a seat on the investment committee where the candidate will be both pitching and debating investments for the portfolio. We are seeking passion at the intersection of climate and capital markets.
What you’ll do:
- Own the investment process including deal sourcing, valuation, due diligence, portfolio construction, risk management, and portfolio company (PortCo) support.
- Hold a seat on the investment committee. This individual will be expected to both pitch & debate investments for inclusion in the portfolio.
- Create complex financial models used to develop an investment thesis, conduct valuation, and create deal terms.
- Provide management and leadership support to PortCos, where applicable, to identify opportunities for value-creation and strategic partnerships.
- Build subject matter expertise and credibility in critical areas, emerging market trends, technologies, and sectors.
- Development of sustainable investment theses utilizing in-depth fundamental research, global climate trends, and market/product competitive analysis.
- Development and launch of subsequent investment strategies following launch of first investment strategy.
- Build a strong professional network with ecosystem players such as incubators, accelerators, founders, and co-investors to support deal sourcing and firm branding.
- Collaboration with supporting members of the investment & operations team.
- Support prospecting for new investment opportunities & fundraising.
- Contribute to firm branding & positioning through white-papers, thought leadership, and conference attendance.
Skills you’ll need to be successful in the role:
- 7+ years investment experience within venture, growth, and/or buyout equity.
- Preference for strong M&A and deal execution experience from a top investment bank and private equity / venture capital firm.
- Demonstrated investment track record or case studies on deals recently invested in.
- Strong financial modelling and underwriting abilities with experience in assessment and valuation of companies for investment.
- Strong understanding of portfolio construction & risk management methodologies and deep financial acumen.
- Experience in sustainable investing such as Climate-Tech, AgTech, Water-Energy nexus, transportation, renewable fuels, waste and circularity, or other sustainability-related industries is a plus, but not required.
- Executive-level written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to advocate and debate with clarity and conviction.
- Strong negotiation and consensus-building skills.
- Degree from accredited academic institution with preference for advanced degrees & certifications (CFA, CAIA, etc.).
- High intellectual curiosity, entrepreneurial, analytical, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative.
- Established networks across sustainability-focused industries and/or investment firms is a plus.
- Experience with financing and operations of early-stage companies.
- Familiarity with operational challenges and opportunities in the “startup journey”.
- Passion for climate solutions and the intersection of financial returns & real-world impact.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, ambitious self-starter with proven ability to work in a collaborative and diverse environment. High energy, effort and a positive attitude are all must-haves.
- A desire to be a leader, owner, and developer within a start-up culture.
Why you should join us:
Earth Finance is a dedicated team of strategists, investors, policy makers, scientists, and subject matter experts who are committed to identifying and implementing solutions that create a financially viable low-carbon future. We work with companies, non-profit organizations, investors, philanthropists, and governmental agencies to help them accelerate their progress toward net zero. We are a diverse team of talented, like-minded and impact focused people who are passionate about sustainability, committed to creating a better future and focused on bringing our best selves to this work. If that sounds exciting – come join us.
We are climate optimists.
1.5°C is achievable – and we already have the solutions and capital we need to hit this goal. We partner with companies to reinvent the extractive business models of today, investors to deploy innovation capital at scale, governments to adopt common sense policies and incentives, community leaders to implement inclusive and equitable solutions, and the scientific community to ground our client recommendations in the natural world. We are committed to radically accelerating financially successful climate action.
We relentlessly focus on high value, high impact solutions.
We focus on finding the most critical, equitable, and actionable ways to reduce CO2e emissions within our clients’ unique value chains. We bring an open mind, boundless curiosity, and an objective point of view to this work.
We build productive, long-lasting, cross-functional partnerships.
Effective climate action is a team sport – no one can do it alone. We build relationships grounded in mutual respect, openness, and humility. If we say we are going to show up, we do, and we bring our A game and our best selves. We source insights from across sectors, organizations, academia, and our own team and use those insights to solve complex, entrenched problems. We believe this is the best way to create a viable, prosperous future for our team, families, clients, and the communities we collectively serve.
We create pathways for people and the planet to thrive.
We have a fierce commitment to protecting and restoring biodiversity and natural ecosystems, environmental justice, and strengthening local communities. We build to solutions empower those most impacted by climate change.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary range for this role is $190,000 – $300,000. Title and salary offered will be commensurate with your experience, plus performance-based bonus and equity options.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance. We cover 100% of your premiums and 25% of the premiums for your dependents.
- Company funded life and disability insurance.
- Unlimited vacation and 12 company holidays.
- A 401(k) plan – and if you set aside 5% of your paycheck, we’ll provide a 4% match.
- A super fun, passionate, dedicated team of colleagues committed to creating a sustainable, and financially sound, future for organizations, people, and the planet.