William Blair’s buy-side research team is responsible for identifying quality growth companies that will generate above-average results for clients over time with generally less risk than the market. The team identifies these companies through a combination of rigorous fundamental research and systematic inputs, following a disciplined process that emphasizes team collaboration.
This role will assist in the preparation and execution of industry and company research and analyses for use in the formulation of security analyses for our global equities research team specific to the technology sector. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop knowledge of assigned industry and companies and keep abreast of related market developments and news.
- Assist with gathering and organizing research data related to assigned industry and/or companies, and maintain accurate, current research databases. Data entry in Excel.
- Aggregate competitive industry positioning or other relevant data as directed by senior Research team members.
- Support Research team members in defining and documenting objectives and approaches for specific research projects. Conduct research using predefined parameters. Communicate findings to the team and refine analyses based on team input.
- As directed by senior team members, collect information on financial performance and help build and maintain financial models for revenue and income forecasts, cash flow analysis, balance sheet and quarterly projections which are aligned with research requests.
- Assist in the preparation of industry and company reports, presentations and exhibits to summarize research findings for Research teams.
- May participate in meetings with company management, brokers, investment and research staff to obtain relevant research information. Document and maintain information for analysis activities.
- Ensure all work activities are in compliance with applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1-2 years professional work experience, preferably in financial services or public accounting
- Strong accounting skills required
- Demonstrated interest in research and/or the stock market, genuine curiosity and interest in investing
- Some knowledge of investment concepts and products
- Advanced conceptual and critical thinking skills
- Familiarity with data gathering and analysis, best practices and methodologies
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and through written communication
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate with investment and research teams
- Ability to work independently in support of team goals
- Some background or interest in computer science preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of Bloomberg and other investment industry standard data sources preferred