ABOUT THE TEAM:
William Blair’s buy-side research team is responsible for identifying quality growth companies that will generate above-average results for clients over time with generally less risk than the market. The team identifies these companies through a combination of rigorous fundamental research and systematic inputs, following a disciplined process that emphasizes team collaboration.
JOB SUMMARY & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop detailed knowledge of assigned industry and companies and keep abreast of related market developments and news.
- Gather and analyze research data related to targeted industry and companies, and maintain accurate, current research databases. Conduct research analyses on targeted companies, including analysis of financial performance, competitive industry positioning, quality of company management, etc.
- Analyze market sectors and trends and conduct financial and accounting statement analyses. Develop and maintain financial models for revenue and income forecasts, cash flow analysis, balance sheet and quarterly projections.
- Prepare industry and company reports, presentations and exhibits to summarize research findings for Research teams.
- Host meetings with company executives, sell-side brokers, and third-party research providers. Document and maintain information for analysis activities.
- Assist Research Analysts in identifying and formulating new investment ideas for Portfolio Managers, and recommending securities and companies in one or more industry groups targeted to follow.
- Ensure all work activities are in compliance with applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Additional responsibilities as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree required with concentration in Finance or Accounting preferred.
- Progress towards MBA and/or CFA preferred.
- 4+ years of related work experience in investment research or financial services highly preferred.
- Strong financial analysis and accounting statement analysis skills.
- Knowledge of data gathering and analysis best practices and methodologies.
- Knowledge of investment concepts and products.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate with investment and research teams.
- Ability to work independently in support of team goals.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including advanced Excel skills and industry standard data sources
- Capable of building computer generated financial models.
- Strong conceptual and critical thinking skills.
- Delivers clear, effective verbal and written communication and takes responsibility for understanding others.
- Capable of creatively simplifying and summarizing complex information.