About Blue Cross
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is one of the most recognized and trusted health care brands in the world with 2.5 million members. We’re committed to reinventing health care to improve health for our members and the community. We hope you'll join us.
How Is This Role Important to Our Work?
The Investment Accounting Manager is responsible for managing the Investment and Treasury financial reporting and accounting and is accountable for the accuracy of this areas specific financial, management and regulatory reporting. This includes implementation and execution of financial policies, procedures, and controls for all general ledger activity including interfaces, journal entries and other monthly financial reporting processes. The Investment Accounting Manager and team report directly to the Vice President of Treasury & Chief Investment Officer.
A Day in the Life:
- Manage the proper recording of multiple interfaces and journal entries for the related companies, market segments, and business units using SAP. This includes establishment of proper accounting methodologies in accordance with both GAAP and STAT requirements.
- Direct, review and distribute monthly financial statements and management reporting and analysis to provide accurate and relevant information for business decisions. This includes, but not limited to, working with various levels of corporate management, including subsidiaries, regarding the interpretation and analysis of root causes of financial results and variance to budget and forecast as well as assisting in developing budget and forecast projections.
- Manage and review the preparation of numerous external regulatory filings including NAIC, BCBS Association, CMS and Department of Commerce. Coordinate and ensure cross departmental cooperation for purposes of accuracy and timely filing.
- Coordinate with external auditors for annual and interim audit work and support periodic regulatory audits (CMS, Commerce). This includes directing and reviewing draft audited financial statements including footnote disclosure as well as audit work paper documentation.
- Serve as the technical investment and treasury accounting resource on Statutory Accounting Principals, Generally Accepted Accounting Principals, and internal accounting policies.
- Provide leadership investment accounting recommendations for technical investment and accounting strategies, which includes proactive review of how to account for new initiatives and upcoming GAAP/STAT changes.
- Direct or provide ad hoc project assistance as requested by executive management, business partners or Vice President of Treasury & Chief Investment Officer.
- Establish and maintain key relationships throughout the organization as a means of obtaining information needed to perform duties and to provide financial data requests as needed.
- Responsible for promoting continuous enhancement and improvement of financial systems, processes, and reporting capabilities.
- Works with SAP support staff to develop, test, and implement enhanced solutions.
- Manages the department, including interviewing and hiring employees following required EEO and Affirmative Action guidelines and ensuring employees receive the proper training.
- Lead and develop a diverse talent by providing an inclusive environment that promotes diversity of thought and team engagement. This should include proactive coaching, career development conversations, and performance coaching and evaluation.
Nice to Have:
- MBA or advanced degree in Finance or Finance-related area of study.
- CPA or CMA.
- Demonstrated expertise in financial industry and insurance industry (i.e., health, captive, and/or life).
Make A Difference
Blue Cross is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer that values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Reasonable Accommodation for Job Seekers with a Disability: If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com.
All roles require a high school diploma (or equivalency) and legal authorization to work in the U.S.
Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® of Minnesota and Blue Plus® are nonprofit independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.