As the Head of Private Markets you will lead the private market efforts at MOSERS and have oversight of private market team members and external manager relationships. In addition, this position will conduct/lead research into private markets and the potential subsequent strategic positioning of the MOSERS private market portfolio. The position will have the opportunity to allocate substantial dollars over the next few years as the private market portfolios grow in line with MOSERS asset allocation goals.
How You'll Spend Your Time
- Leading the private market asset classes which includes manager hiring, monitoring, and termination process for the private market external managers.
- Overseeing staff and external manager relationships. Including daily monitoring of assigned managers, conducting due diligence meetings, and writing due diligence reports and contributing to portfolio construction discussions.
- Will lead private market meetings to inform staff about current market conditions, current positioning, manager performance, and research projects. Other staff may lead some of these meetings as well.
- Producing/overseeing research on markets and sub-class allocation for use in asset allocation decisions.
- Recommending and implementing strategic, value-added allocations across private markets.
- Tracking external research sources including interacting with senior research/portfolio management professionals in the investment management and investment banking industries to provide useful insight into markets and investment opportunities.
- Working with internal staff, investment managers, and software vendors to ensure the quality of the data in the risk measurement and custodian systems.
- Developing and running reports in investment statistical software systems for use in the investment decision making process.
- Preparing presentations and presenting them to MOSERS’ Board of Trustees.
What we're looking for in the ideal candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, finance, or closely related field with minimum of 7 years of broad institutional private market investment experience is required. Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Strongly preferred Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and/or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) designation.
- Supervisory Experience Preferred
- Strong analytical and data analysis skills are required.
- Advanced knowledge of private market investments , economic theories, and portfolio management.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal are required with experience making formal presentations preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with MOSERS staff, members, outside vendors, and other contacts.
- Ability to demonstrate integrity and high degree of ethics.
- Someone who can work independently and manage your time efficiently with minimal oversight
- Dedication to the task at hand and strive to exceed expectations.
- Willingness to travel, some overnight and out of state is required
- Valid driver's license.
What You’ll Love About Us
- Access to world class money managers
- Our governance policies which delegate manager hiring and terminations to staff
- The challenge of continuing to build out our private market portfolios
- Our balanced investment approach between performance and risk
- MOSERS commitment to funding your CFA, CAIA, or other professional designation or educational degree.
- Our Location - Jefferson City has been named "American's Most Beautiful Small Town" by Rand McNally in 2013 and ranked as the 2nd Best City to Live In by Business Insider in 2020. Click here to learn more about the area.
- Knowing you are working to provide financial security for our members
- Our Team – Our staff consistently ranks “co-workers” at the top of their lists of things they love about MOSERS in our Employee Satisfaction and Engagement Surveys
- Our Culture – Our staff also ranks our leadership and our “team” culture highly on our surveys.