Description About this role
Are you interested in building innovative technology that crafts financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup but want to solve some of the world's most sophisticated problems? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders in technology and finance?
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers
who like to innovate and solve sophisticated problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your outstanding skills, curiosity, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
We invest and protect over $8 trillion (USD) of assets and have an outstanding responsibility to our clients all over the world. Our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home, and improve their financial well-being.
Being a technologist at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most sophisticated financial companies and also being part of a software development team responsible for next-generation technology and solutions. What team will you be on?
You will be part of the Exchange Traded Funds (ETF) Systems Development team, which is part of the wider global ETF technology and responsible for building the software systems used by our clients to buy and sell ETFs. We are a Java-based team working to re-architect these critical systems into a set of loosely coupled microservice-based components crafted to support the future growth of this high-profile business area. Why is your role important?
ETF's are a huge growth area and Blackrock is heavily invested in the ETF business. It is a central pillar of our goal to allow more people to experience financial well-being. This role is directly connected to that vision and presents a significant opportunity to have a real impact on the way we build and deliver high-scale technology software. What will you be doing?
What are we looking for?
- Hands-on development while leading other developers to build our next-generation ETF platform
- Craft new functionality into a microservice-based architecture
- Actively participate in the team's agile delivery process, completing sprint tasks and writing high-quality code, unit tests, and automated integration tests to move features to production.
- Provide high-quality technical feedback to team discussions on system design, seeing those efforts all the way through to final delivery.
- Mentor more junior members of the team, providing code style and architectural input through pair programming, reviewing pull requests and team meetings.
- Bachelor's/Master's degree in computer science, information technology, or a similar field.
- 8 - 10 years of hands-on exposure in crafting and developing enterprise applications in Java and related Java application frameworks like Spring.
- Strong experience with crafting large-scale systems using micro-service architecture, REST API's, gRPC, protocol buffers, and event streaming platforms like Kafka.
- Knowledge of SQL, NoSQL, and cloud-based database (Snowflake) technologies.
- Familiarity with scripting languages like Python.
- Familiarity with using modern DevOps tools, CI/CD pipelines, and version control tools like Git.
- Experience with developing modern data pipelines using cloud-based database technologies and visualization tools like Power BI is a huge plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and standout colleague.
- Domain expertise in financial services and products is an added advantage.
- Experience with supporting & mentoring junior developers.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. Our hybrid work model
BlackRock's hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 3 days in the office each week, with the flexibility to work from home up to 2 days a week; some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. Beginning in September, all employees will shift to at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person - aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, family status, gender identity, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected attributes at law.