Zodia Custody offers a unique value proposition. It combines the agility of a start-up with the dependability of a 167-year-old financial institution being Standard Chartered Bank.
Established in 2020, Zodia Custody is a subsidiary of Standard Chartered and in December of that year, it was announced that Northern Trust had become a co-investor in Zodia Custody. Zodia's association with both Standard Chartered and Northern Trust brings each Bank's established custody approach to the market and provides institutional investors globally with the confidence to enter the space.
At Zodia Custody, we believe that secure custody services and higher industry standards are key to unlocking the institutional potential for the cryptoasset class. Scope of Role
We are looking for a Legal Counsel
to support our growing team as we continue to find ways to bring true institutional products and standards to institutional digital assets market participants. The role will report to the General Counsel of Zodia Custody.
This role is suitable for a confident corporate, commercial or finance lawyer qualified in a common law jurisdiction with an appetite for immersion in the emerging asset class of digital assets, an aptitude for problem-solving, a commitment to a business in a scaling phase and direct exposure to clients, shareholders and the market. You will work alongside an international group of colleagues from a diverse range of backgrounds and have the opportunity to shape leading-edge products and their delivery.
You will be given responsibility for an ever-changing portfolio of work across all facets of the business: supporting everything from Sales activity to internal product development. Key Accountabilities
The Legal Counsel will provide support across the full spectrum of demands made of the legal team including, but not limited to:
Business and Functional Partnering
- Draft and negotiate client agreements for the UK entity and its Irish subsidiary, a wide range of related commercial and technology agreements and broader procurement contracts
- Advise on the regulatory aspects of cross-border client relationships, business development and establishment of the business in new locations using a combination of internal tools and working with external counsel globally as appropriate
- Provide legal advice that supports the structuring of new products and research and development
- Monitor and advise on new domestic and international regulatory developments that may impact the business strategy, influence thought on developing that strategy and provide input to consultations
- Advise on corporate and governance matters relating to Zodia Custody and its international business ventures
- Provide thought-leadership to clients and, over time, develop confidence to speak at industry events and author written thought-leadership materials
- Represent Zodia Custody on and actively contribute to industry digital assets working groups
- Work with Standard Chartered Ventures as required in relation to Zodia Custody being one of its ventures
- Work with Zodia Custody's Head of Legal to support the business in achieving its objectives through the delivery of advice that facilitates while simultaneously retaining independence of thought that protects Zodia Custody's clients and Zodia Custody
- Partner with Technology, Sales, Risk, Compliance, R&D, Corporate Secretarial and Finance teams to provide integrated solutions
- Work with Zodia Custody's highly engaged Board and shareholders as required
- Collaborate with Zodia Custody's sister company Zodia Markets on matters of mutual interest
Qualifications & Experience
- Head, Legal, Zodia Custody
- Zodia Custody Management team
- Professional legal qualification in a common law jurisdiction
- 5+ years of experience of corporate, commercial or finance law
- Strong organisational skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize competing requests from different stakeholders
- Outstanding communication & interpersonal skills, both oral and written
- Solutions focused, with good judgement when it comes to problem-solving
- Experience of working in a fast-paced environment, often with a high level of ambiguity and change
- Prior experience gained both in an established as well as high growth/startup companies would be advantageous but is not necessary
The organisation is committed to diversity and inclusion. By providing equal opportunities we foster a work environment which embraces diversity and gets the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain business performance and competitive advantage. We build an inclusive culture by demonstrating respect for each other's unique strengths and perspectives to enable every employee to develop a sense of belonging and can maximise their potential.