Description About this role Title: Vice President - Data Engineering ETL Architect
When BlackRock started in 1988, its founders envisioned a company that combined the best of financial services with cutting edge technology. They imagined a business that would provide financial services to clients as well as technology services to other financial firms. The result of their vision is Aladdin, our industry leading, end-to-end investment management platform. With assets valued over USD $7 trillion managed on Aladdin, our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial wellbeing. About Data Ops Engineering (DOE)
Data is at the heart of Aladdin and increasingly the ability to consume, store, analyse and gain insight from data has become a key component of our competitive advantage. The DOE team is responsible for the data ecosystem within BlackRock. Our goal is to build and maintain a leading-edge data platform that provides highly available, consistent data of the highest quality for all users of the platform, notably investors, operations teams and data scientists. We focus on evolving our platform to deliver exponential scale to the firm, powering the future growth of Aladdin. About this role
Data Engineering ETL Architects at BlackRock get to experience working at one of the most recognized financial companies in the world while being part of a team responsible for designing and building ETL framework for next generation Enterprise Data platform. Our engineers design and build large scale data storage, computation, and distribution systems. They partner with data and analytics experts to deliver high quality analytical and derived data to our consumers.
We are looking for data engineers who like to innovate and seek complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, drive, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual. We are committed to open source and we regularly give our work back to the community. Engineers looking to work in the areas of orchestration, data modelling, data pipelines, APIs, storage, distribution, distributed computation, consumption and infrastructure are ideal candidates. Responsibilities:
Data Engineering ETL Architects are expected to be involved from inception of projects, understand requirements, architect, develop, deploy, and maintain ETL / ELT framework. Our goal is to increase the automation of data pipelines, support both internal and external teams to leverage the reusable ETL components and adopt to the standards of modern data platform while constantly working towards improving platform performance and scalability.
Deployment and maintenance require close interaction with various teams. This requires maintaining a positive and collaborative working relationship with teams within DOE as well as with wider Aladdin developer community. Creative and inventive problem-solving skills for reduced turnaround times are highly valued.
Preparing user documentation to maintain both development and operations continuity is integral to the role.
- Brainstorming ideas for designing and building data engineering solutions using standard frameworks. Providing ideas for process enhancements that will result in development projects
- Developing and maintaining ETL workflows, orchestration for data pipelines, tools and processes, including participation in tactical and strategic development projects
- Working alongside program managers, product teams and data stewards throughout the SDLC cycle
- Providing L2 or L3 support for technical and/or operational issues encountered
- Help the team conduct end-to-end UAT tests to ensure production operations run successfully during monthly cycles
- At least 6+ years' experience as a software engineer
- Experience in SQL, PL/SQL programming, Stored procedures, UDFs
- ETL/ELT Framework design and Workflow Orchestrations
- Experience in Python / PySpark programming
- Experience with ETL Performance Tuning
- Experience with object-oriented design patterns
- Experience with dev ops tools like Git, Maven, Jenkins, Gitlab CI, Azure DevOps
- Experience with Agile development concepts and related tools
- Ability to trouble shoot and fix performance issues across the codebase and database queries
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with a can-do attitude under challenging circumstances
- BA/BS equivalent degree
- Experience with Snowflake, SnowPipe, Snowpark
- Exposure with Workflow management tools such as Airflow
- ETL tools like DBT
- Experience in Azure Cloud Native services
- Exposure to streaming platforms such as SnowPipe Streaming, Kafka
- Exposure to NoSQL platforms such as Cassandra, MongoDB
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science is preferred
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. Our hybrid work model
BlackRock's hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 3 days in the office each week, with the flexibility to work from home up to 2 days a week; some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. Beginning in September, all employees will shift to at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person - aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, family status, gender identity, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected attributes at law.