Description About this role
Are you interested in building innovative technology that crafts the financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup, and solving some of the world's most exciting challenges? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders in technology and finance?
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve sophisticated problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your outstanding skills, curiosity, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
We invest and protect over $8 trillion (USD) of assets and have an extraordinary responsibility to our clients all over the world. Our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial well-being.
Being a technologist at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most sophisticated financial companies and being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions.
The Alpha Gen Technology group (AGT) helps BlackRock investment teams deliver market leading performance (alpha) to their clients. We work with investment researchers to develop predictive signals and strategies that are traded on BlackRock hedge funds and other active portfolios. The services we provide range from: quantitative library development, model engineering, alpha platform development and investment technology R&D. People in the team are based in London, Budapest, Mumbai, San Francisco and Sydney. AGT's Investment partners include Active Equity, Fixed Income, Multi-Asset Strategies, Sustainability Strategies, and the Risk and Quantitative Analytics Team. AGT is part of BlackRock's Aladdin Product Group (APG). Your role and impact:
As a Software Engineer in the Alpha Gen Platform team you will work closely with Quant and Data engineers to develop industry leading platform that is used for quantitative research as well as in production system to drive daily investment processes. We are involved in the full lifecycle of the Alpha Gen and Data platform including design, architecture, development, implementation, tuning, production support and maintenance. Your responsibilities:
You will be building a ground breaking, high quality Alpha Gen platform! It involves:
- Develop API based on microservices architecture built on cloud-native architecture stack
- Identifying and prototyping new alpha-enabling technology
- Partnering with other engineering teams at BlackRock to integrate with Aladdin
- Developing front-end applications adhering to Aladdin UX standards
We value post-graduate degree holders, but we also like individuals with equivalent commercial experience. So, if you have a good mix of the skills below we would love to hear from you!
- 4 - 6 years of experience with excellent coding skills in either Java or Python. Knowledge of Scala or Angular is a plus.
- Experience with distributed technologies supporting analytics and/or microservice development such as Spark, Dask, or Spring Boot is appreciated.
- Desire to build deep expertise in cloud native technologies and design of applications that are deployed to cloud infrastructure.
- A deep software engineering mindset. This includes practices such as agile, test automation, object-oriented design, design patterns, release management
- Good interpersonal skills and g enuine curiosity and appetite to learn: equities, fixed income, derivatives, hedge funds, or investment risk
What will you learn on the job?
- A deep understanding of hedge fund strategies and signals that drive them
- Build a platform that enables alpha generation at scale
- Aladdin - the investment platform used to handle >$15 Trillion of global assets.
- How to apply machine learning and data science technology to alpha generation
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. Our hybrid work model
BlackRock's hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 3 days in the office each week, with the flexibility to work from home up to 2 days a week; some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. Beginning in September, all employees will shift to at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person - aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, family status, gender identity, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected attributes at law.