When you work with the UK's most innovative companies, you know you're making a difference.
SVB UK (backed by HSBC) is the banking partner to the UK's leading innovators and investors: we support the growth of startups, scaleups, and technology corporates along with the UK's investor, Venture Capital and Private Equity community.
Our clients come to us for our deep industry knowledge, expansive network and unique experience helping innovative companies within the UK grow and succeed. They stay because our diverse, passionate and enterprising teams make a real difference to their business.
Join us and help us bring our clients' game-changing ideas to life.
We believe that diverse perspectives and inclusive environments ignite new ideas and power innovation. This is why we are building a culture of belonging with a workforce that reflects the markets we serve.The Role
Performance of the Sr. Credit Officer - UK, which is subject to an annual attestation of fitness and propriety by SVBUK and the following COCON Individual Conduct Rules:
Rule 1: You must act with integrity
Rule 2: You must act with due skill, care and diligence
Rule 3: You must be open and cooperative with the FCA, the PRA and other regulators
Rule 4: You must pay due regard to the interests of customers and treat them fairly.
Rule 5: You must observe proper standards of market conduct
The role encompasses and has the following principal responsibilities:
- Responsible for credit risk management; to include: credit quality and management of assigned loan portfolio; credit oversight of new loan business; credit approvals within delegated authority and sponsorship of credits for approval outside of delegated authority; credit underwriting guidance, and collaboration with Relationship Management and Credit Solutions Leadership on broader strategic goals, risk appetite, credit strategy, and credit quality goals. SCO is responsible for enabling loan growth and maintaining good credit quality.
- Reviewing credit approval memoranda: Assess risk rating, and assure risk ratings are appropriate, accuracy of terms and conditions, risk/return, analyze adequacy of repayment sources, ensure that key risks are highlighted and rationale for approving the loan is sound.
- Meeting with Relationship Management and Credit Solutions to evaluate new loan opportunities and changes to existing loans: assess whether opportunity makes strategic and economic sense for SVB, understand qualitative and quantitative factors, decide if risk is acceptable and identify areas for additional due diligence.
- Monthly portfolio reviews with each assigned team: Review every loan relationship in my assigned portfolios, with emphasis on risk rating, performance/liquidity trends, and compliance with loan covenants and reporting requirements. Identify areas of weakness in the portfolio and provide guidance as to their remediation. Works closely with lending to ensure that portfolio management disciplines/practices are consistently applied.
- Coach CS and RM professionals in underwriting, portfolio management, negotiation, and positioning of solutions. Provides advice, mentoring, and/or training to lending staff and credit support staff regarding loan structuring, loan documentation and legal issues.
- Internal Meetings with Credit, Loan Administration (U.S.), UK Risk and other groups, including the line of business.
- Participate in and/or lead discussions with credit review and third parties as assigned.
- Lead or participate in key initiatives (lending strategy, product strategy), projects (Controls, process improvements, etc.) and committees focused on achieving business unit objectives for Credit Administration, UK Risk, or in partnership/support of other business units as appropriate.
We know that some people may be put off from applying for a role if they don't meet all elements of a job description. If you're in this camp but think you can make a difference to our business, then why not give us a try?
We pride ourself on our approach to workforce flexibility. Talk to us about where, when and how you want to work which will enable you to bring your 'A' game to work
SVB UK is an equal opportunities employer. If you need adjustments for any part of the recruitment process, please contact us at emeaTA@svb.com
SVB UK is a UK standalone independent commercial bank, regulated by the PRA and backed by HSBC Group.