About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust, a Fortune 500 company, is a globally recognized, award-winning financial institution that has been in continuous operation since 1889.
Northern Trust is proud to provide innovative financial services and guidance to the world's most successful individuals, families, and institutions by remaining true to our enduring principles of service, expertise, and integrity. With more than 130 years of financial experience and over 22,000 partners, we serve the world's most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service. Role / Department:
Northern Trust Asset Management (NTAM) is a global Investment Manager with $1.1 Trillion Assets Under Management, is a top 20 global asset manager, top 10 largest factor investor globally and the 12th largest ETF provider.
As a leading investment manager with deep experience in ESG integration, we not only actively engage with the companies we are invested in, but also with policy makers, regulators, vendors and index providers to lift ESG standards across the market as a whole. Ultimately, we believe positive economic and societal change, and financial performance, is best achieved when ESG analysis is combined with a strong stewardship strategy.
This newly created Stewardship Analyst role will support the firm's rapidly evolving active ownership needs. Based in London you will be helping in shaping and executing the strategic stewardship agenda, engagement plan and proxy vote guidelines, working under the guidance of the EMEA Head of Stewardship. You will exhibit excellent analytical skills and client centricity. The key responsibilities of the role include: 1. Engagement and Voting
• Analyse shareholder meeting agendas and related materials to ensure votes are submitted timely and accurately in accordance with NTAM's proxy voting guidelines.
• Engage with boards and senior executives of investee companies on a variety of ESG and proxy voting related issues.
• Ensure ongoing monitoring of progress towards engagement milestones/outcomes maintaining accurate records.
• Manage collaborative engagements were we are co-leads and collaborators namely with CA100+, IIGCC, FAIRR.
• Contribute to the ongoing refinement of NTAM's proxy voting policy.
• Contribute to the annual review of NTAM's engagement and proxy voting policies to ensure they remain fit for purpose, are appropriate for publication and conduct research to inform recommendation on enhancements to proxy guidelines.
• Research into and help write position papers on NTAM's strategic engagement themes/topics i.e. Climate, Biodiversity, Human Capital.
• Contribute to the annual stewardship report creation and submission process. 2. Clients
• Support client requests (RFP's and DDQs) in collaboration with internal stakeholders.
• Work closely with the Head of EMEA to enhance client reporting with respect to stewardship and engagement.
• Develop presentation decks and other support materials for clients. 3. Internal / External Advocacy
• Keep on-top of global regulatory developments with a focus on UK and Europe concerning stewardship and ESG and engage with relevant industry bodies.
• Help write responses to public policy consultations - i.e. regulators, government, notable industry bodies.
• Be an active participant and contributor in any internal stewardship and proxy related projects.
• Support internal education on stewardship and engagement topics. Knowledge/Skills
The successful candidate will benefit from having:
- Strong understanding of sustainability & ESG issues and how they relate to investment.
- Ability to translate complex topics into business and financially relevant issues with clients, companies and other market participants.
- Strong knowledge of stewardship best practice.
- Excellent writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to influence and inspire internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to ingest multiple informational sources, attention to detail, synthesise key points and demonstrate sound judgment in forming opinions and recommendations. and under pressure.
- Inclusive, collegiate attitude, strong partnership skills, a team player, that can also work independently.
- Time management and personal discipline are vital, as is the ability to work to short deadlines.
Working with Us:
- Bachelor's degree required. Advanced degree (MBA, PhD, CFA, CAIA) desirable but not required.
- In depth work experience in corporate governance, stewardship, sustainability, ESG.
- Proven track record of successfully engaging with senior executives and directors at targeted companies.
As a Northern Trust partner, greater achievements await. You will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture in an organization where financial strength and stability is an asset that emboldens us to explore new ideas. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company committed to assisting the communities we serve! Join a workplace with a greater purpose.
We'd love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world's most admired and sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today. #MadeForGreater Reasonable accommodation
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email our HR Service Center at MyHRHelp@ntrs.com .
We hope you're excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us. We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater/