Sterling Capital Management, LLC is a registered investment adviser founded in 1970. Sterling is an independently operated subsidiary of Truist Financial, one of the nation’s largest financial services holding companies. Sterling is headquartered in Charlotte, NC with offices in Jupiter, FL, King of Prussia, PA, Raleigh, NC, San Francisco, CA, and Virginia Beach, VA. As of March 31, 2023, Sterling has over $75 Billion in assets under management and assets under advisement overseen by 180 investment and client service professionals. Sterling provides investment management services to a diversified group of clients including corporate, public, healthcare, private clients, endowment/ foundation, insurance, sub-advisory, and managed investment pools in 40 states and 9 countries worldwide.
The Equity Opportunities Group (EOG) within Sterling Capital Management seeks an experienced equity analyst to be based with the team in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The EOG team has exhibited an attractive record of outperformance over the last 20+ years. A successful candidate will face a broad array of duties and assignments, including, but not limited to screening, analyzing company fundamentals on current holdings, proposing new investment ideas, maintaining various spreadsheets and databases, authoring commentaries for client communications, supporting product specialist teams, and fulfilling other value-added tasks.
Resumes will be accepted until July 1, 2023. Candidates should have a full investment thesis and report ready and available on a US listed company for interviews. Sterling anticipates filling the position by August 15, 2023.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following is a summary of essential job functions. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time:
- Construct financial models and analysis on subject companies.
- Analyze and understand company fundamentals through various data resources.
- Interview company management and industry contacts via virtual and in-person meetings.
- Prepare written reports on companies under coverage.
- Recommend securities to be included in EOG portfolios.
- Review and provide feedback on other analysts’ investment recommendations.
- Effectively communicate with clients, consultants, and prospects regarding Sterling’s investment management process.
- Deep fundamental bottom-up research and analysis preferred.
- Ability to deliver recommendations (orally and in writing) in an organized, concise, and impactful manner.
- Comfortable exchanging ideas in a team setting among peers while defending the investment merits of recommended ideas.
- Emphasis on independent thought, primary research, and fact-based analysis.
- Writing experience on individual securities reports and client communications such as quarterly commentaries.
- Ability to travel as needed to research conferences and/or client meetings.
- Ability to work in the office 4-5 days a week.
- A desire for a long-term career as a buy-side analyst.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 5+ years of professional equity analysis experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Thorough knowledge of equity securities and their attributes.
- Passion for equity investing.
- High level of technological competence.
- Strong communications skills.
- Advanced financial modeling capabilities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in basic computer applications such as: Microsoft Office, Factset and/or Bloomberg.
- Ability to travel, occasionally overnight.
- CFA designation and/or MBA