Description About this role
This role will be based in London within the Europe, Middle East and Africa ("EMEA") Corporate Tax team.
The EMEA Corporate Tax team has staff in London, Edinburgh, and Belgrade, and is responsible for all corporate tax matters relevant to BlackRock's operations in the EMEA region. The team's broad remit includes leading strategic cross functional projects, M&A tax due diligence, corporate entity structuring, R&D tax credit optimization, as well as providing operational and advisory support across the region. The team is also responsible tax dispute resolution and managing relationships with tax authorities in the region.
The EMEA Corporate Tax team also ensures all annual tax compliance and reporting obligations across the region are met. We work closely with other Finance and Tax teams, as well as Treasury, Legal and Compliance teams, to deliver cross functional key strategic projects, in the spirit of One BlackRock. Job Purpose/Background:
Reporting to the Managing Director in the EMEA Corporate Tax team in London, the successful candidate will work closely with all members of the team as well as being a key tax technical resource for the team across the region.
The candidate will manage and be a key point of contact for other Finance and Tax teams within BlackRock, representing the team with senior local and global management stakeholders of the team, and managing relationships with external tax advisors throughout the region.
This role presents a unique opportunity for the right candidate to join a high quality, dynamic, in-house corporate tax function, with significant exposure to complex international tax advisory, a focus on scalable Fintech, M&A and other transaction work, whilst gaining valuable experience of international tax law and rules in 25 countries across the region. The role will also have unique exposure for the right candidate to face off and manage the messaging to senior stakeholders at a global and regional level. The EMEA Corporate tax team has an enviable reputation within BlackRock as a key strategic resource of the firm, partnering frequently with the business and senior management to achieve the best outcomes for BlackRock, and the successful candidate will be a linchpin of this team.
The successful candidate will be able to take advantage of BlackRock's flexible working, such as our Flexible Time Off (FTO) policy which allows employees to take unlimited paid days off per year, with manager approval, while fulfilling work obligations and ensuring proper coverage of work. Key Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will own and be responsible for:
Knowledge, Experience and Competencies:
- Leading on key regional strategic projects - such as expansion into new jurisdictions, legal entity formation and financing, entity rationalisation, cross-border reorganisations, and supporting M&A transactions
- Monitoring international tax policy developments and determine the potential impacts to BlackRock's EMEA corporate structure
- Leading the firms strategic response to new tax legislation and tax initiatives impacting the EMEA corporate structure, such as the OECD BEPS Pillar 2 initiative
- Leading on tax controversy, audit and litigation work, including managing the relationship with the local tax authorities and working with external advisors to achieve the best outcome for BlackRock
- Research and Development ("R&D") tax credit projects, and any other tax incentives across the region, with a primary focus on the UK and France
- UK Senior Accounting Officer ("SAO") certification process, which will involve project managing entire process across all Finance teams, building a detailed working knowledge of BlackRock's accounting systems and processes, with appreciation of any underlying SAO risk, and appropriate mitigation if needed, and managing the final submission and any HMRC SAO related meetings and interactions
- Provide tax technical knowledge and oversight for the EMEA corporate tax team as needed, including running the tax technical training for the team
- Responsibility for developing the tax risk management processes and procedures for the region
- Oversight of project driven ad-hoc corporate tax compliance matters, e.g. submissions for International Movement of Capital, Double Tax Treaty Passports ("DTTP"), DAC6, and internal Risk Reporting procedures
- Experienced and proven manager of workflows - highly organised, have strong attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple work-streams and delivering to agreed deadlines
- Experience of mid-level stakeholder management skills, including appreciating and understanding other stakeholder issues especially those relating to finance, legal , compliance and local country management
- Experience of liaising with and managing external advisors
- CT or ACA qualified, preferably PQ5+ years, with a tax technical focus. However, we will also consider candidates with strong practical Tax experience
- Experience in Financial Services (Asset Management in particular) is beneficial, but not essential
- Basic awareness of European country-specific tax law advantageous as well as corporate aw concepts, with a strong international mindset
- Pro-active, highly numerate, be quick learner and a team player, with an ability to adjust to change and the desire to take on responsibility and ownership of allocated work
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of employee benefits including: retirement investment and tools designed to help you in building a sound financial future; access to education reimbursement; comprehensive resources to support your physical health and emotional well-being; family support programs; and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. Our hybrid work model
BlackRock's hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 3 days in the office each week, with the flexibility to work from home up to 2 days a week; some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. Beginning in September, all employees will shift to at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person - aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected characteristics at law.