Associate Portfolio Manager
OUR BOTTOM LINE IS DIFFERENT.
There’s something special about working at ATB, and it’s been recognized on every top employer list that matters. Maybe it’s our exceptional culture where your total wellness is supported through market-leading benefits and you’re free to bring your whole self to work. Maybe it’s our commitment to a growth mindset and our unrelenting thirst for making it possible for fellow Albertans—even the ones who aren’t our clients.
Whatever it is, you won’t find a more genuine, driven and knowledgeable group of humans anywhere. We foster a culture of purpose, performance and possibilities. We engage with intense curiosity, and bring our whole selves to work, every day. We know it starts with people like you, so take a chance and start with us.
Job Number: REQ6271
Location: Calgary or Edmonton, Alberta
Hybrid: You’ll work both remote and onsite, where time onsite is based on your job accountabilities and performance objectives
Apply by: June 6, 2023
System Title: Investment Counselor 8
# Positions available: 1
Leader: Philip Shu
As ATB’s next Associate Portfolio Manager (APM), you will support the lead Portfolio Manager (PM) Institutional Portfolio Management in providing discretionary investment counseling and portfolio management for institutional investors. You will work within the business practice to initiate and maintain strong, long-term relationships with direct and referral clients based on excellent service, strong communication, sound investment management and a commitment to fiduciary duty.
Under the direction of the Managing Director Private Investment Counsel and Institutional Portfolio Management and lead PM, you will work closely with external centres of influence, ATB Securities Inc. Financial Advisors, and ATB’s bankers to serve clients and deliver positive outcomes.
The APM prepares new business proposals and RFP responses and generally assists with the client onboarding process. In addition, you will assist with portfolio analysis and monitoring to identify necessary trades for PM approval. You will work closely with Portfolio Associates to respond to client inquiries and prepare review meeting materials for the PM. It is expected that you regularly attend client meetings with the goal of developing strong presentation and relationship management skills.
- Advises on ATB Investment Management Inc. portfolio construction beliefs related to risk management, strategic asset allocation, global diversification and investment cost control
- Operates with a high level of ethics in adhering to, and suggesting improvements to, ATB Investment Management Inc. policies and procedures including “know your client” responsibilities
- Contributes analysis and insights to the ongoing investment dialogue within Institutional Portfolio Management
- Maintain appropriate industry registration status
- Takes the lead on the completion of certain client service tasks including maintaining relationships with internal support groups and specialized reporting for Institutional Clients
- Supports business development and deepening the client relationships by participating in client hosting events, COI relationship meetings, and partnership activities with other areas of expertise
- Promotes and shares knowledge of investment counseling and portfolio management throughout ATB and relevant communities to maintain and strengthen Institutional Portfolio Management’s reputation and brand
- Demonstrates emotional intelligence in asking the right questions and providing an informed perspective that goes beyond bonds and stocks and helps boards and oversight committees fulfill their responsibilities to stakeholders
- Participates in discovery discussions with prospects to design and implement an Investment Policy Statement (IPS) tailored to specific goals and expectations
- Recommends portfolio changes as needed by applying analysis and professional judgment to key inputs such as risk, return, investment time horizon, liquidity and relevant constraints
- Exemplifies ATB Investment Management Inc. behavioral beliefs related to discipline, ignoring noise, avoiding market timing and investing rather than speculating
- Experience working with policies related to Institutional Investing and knowledge of best practices and governance for Institutional Investors
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience with sub-advisor screening, monitoring and oversight
- Strong problem solving skills
- Broad knowledge of behavioral finance and investment markets with exposure to asset allocation
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, high-performance culture with a significant amount of independence
- An appetite for continuous learning and development
- Personally and fiercely accountable
- Commitment to exceed client expectations
- An interest in expanding emotional intelligence and gaining the confidence to recover from inevitable setbacks, self-regulate energy and perform despite change and ambiguity
- Min 5 years of experience preferably working with institutional investors
- Relevant University degree
- CFA Charter
- Some travel required - based on business needs - usually 1-2 times per month
At ATB, we know that as you develop in your career, you gain many transferable skills. If you believe your experience and qualities are what we are looking for, please consider applying!
Interested? If you know one of our team members, BEFORE applying, reach out to them and ask them for a referral link to help your application stand out.
Online applications are preferred. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.
Be great. Be you. Believe.
We are dedicated to building a workforce reflective of the diversity within our communities and creating an environment where every team member has what they need to reach their potential. We encourage candidates from all equity-seeking groups to apply.
What happens next?
Thank you for applying online. If you are shortlisted for this opportunity, you will hear from us after the posting close date regarding next steps. We might ask you to participate in a digital interview or phone interview. If you require any accommodations, please let us know.
Stay in touch!