Financing & Securities Services (FSS) business, a business entity within Financial Markets (FM), has a unique footprint in Asia, Middle East, Africa, Europe and US, and offers a growing range of products, including:
- Securities Services: direct custody, international custody, funds services, trustee services, transfer agency
- Prime & Financing: prime services, and agency securities lending, to a number of client sectors including banks, investors, intermediaries, sovereigns, fund managers insurance companies and corporates.
The jobholder supports the running of FSS across 40 footprint markets, delivering business requirements and performance results globally. Core responsibilities include:
- Monitors business performance metrics and budgets,
- Facilitates and project-manages the implementation of FSS initiatives and business priorities,
- Supports the implementation of Bank-wide and Financial Markets initiatives,
- Supports discussions and decision making at various forums / committees within FSS and CCIB/FM
- Delivers efficiency, change, and business performance agendas.
- Contribute to the development of the FSS strategy to provide long-term viability of the business, in line with broader Bank-wide and CCIB/FM strategies, taking account of multiple factors to fine-tune the strategy accordingly.
- Assist with strategic planning activities including the development and production of strategic plans, including associated research, analysis, and presentation.
- Work closely with FSS Management Team (MT) on Corporate Plan targets taking into consideration growth/revenue ambitions and efficiency plans, factoring in sales strategy, product strategy and people strategy etc. This should also be aligned with 3-years corporate plans.
- Manage performance updates such product performance reviews (PPR), sales performance reviews, and other management team performance reviews.
- Manage operating rhythm of FSS MT, including orchestration of meetings and agendas, running working groups and offsite workshops, problem solving and driving the successful implementation of the FSS initiatives. Ensure visibility on status, removal of impediments and inform timely decision making with Global Head of FSS/COO and key stakeholders on critical decisions. Responsible for tracking meeting minutes and follow-up actions.
- Lead, develop, implement, and track business initiatives and projects, on an ad-hoc basis and as agreed/delegated by the Global Head of FSS and/or COO.
- Responsible for leading the Business Management team to ensure core pillars of the function are in order, specifically:
- Streamline management business reviews and oversight committees, enhancing transparency between Group and Country, and establishing stronger cross-functional relationships.
- Responsible for coordinating the analysis, planning and responses for FSS globally for any CCIB, TTO or bank wide initiatives
Revenue/Cost Performance and Financials
- Support the Global Head of FSS/COO in managing the performance of products, segments, and regional/country businesses in FSS
- Support the delivery of management information to meet the needs of FSS MT
- Responsible for evaluating the appropriateness of the organization's budgetary framework, calling out where there are gaps in the process and highlighting areas of shortfall
- Planning and understand the numbers of the Corporate Plan (CP)
- Work with Global Head of FSS/COO on allocating (revenue/cost) budget to each MT member
- Track each MT's headcount and financials monthly and provide useful metrics to measure their cost performance
- Challenge the MT where they are not delivering against their cost targets
Sales Performance & Individual Scorecard
- Manage the design, review, roll-out, and update of management and individual scorecards to align with business aspirations, including the assessment of relevant / applicable metrics and the coordination of the target setting process, incorporating the relevant inputs from the FSS MT
- Sales MIS as required by the Global Head of Sales
Headcount and Hiring
- Manage FSS hiring process and actively challenge where roles are not aligned with the Strategy and Corporate Plan, incorporating organisational design principles.
People and Communications
- Oversee FSS Communications to support FSS in cascading key messages and announcements
- Direct People related exercises like year-end compensation process, Job Family Framework (JFF)
- Special Projects / Stretch Responsibilities
- Support the deliveries of FSS wide initiatives (eg. CRMX implementation)
- Liaise with stakeholders where help is needed to ensure the successful execution of the project
- Provides project management expertise and support to Marketing, as required per business needs, for external evens at FM/FSS level, such as The Network Forum, SIBOS, etc
- Lead the transition of low-value functions into centre of excellence (eg. CCG KL)
- Continuously improves business management efficiency by simplifying and standardizing operational processes and procedures.
- Identifies and implements best practices in resources and processes, ensuring consistency and relevance to the business.
- Identifies and drives opportunities to automate, especially in area of regular reporting
People & Talent
- Support business Global Process Owners (GPO) to investigate business operational risks, devise mitigants, and drive regular reviews with requisite BORM engagement.
- Takes responsibility for identifying, assessing, monitoring, controlling and mitigating risks to the Group. Also, maintains an awareness and understanding of the main risks facing the Group and the role the individual and the team play in managing them.
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with stakeholders
- Support and build the FSS and FSS COO people agenda, team development, culture and values
- Ensure adjustments to job descriptions of FSS where required
- Assists in talent management, hiring, learning and development initiatives such as training workshops, learning curriculums, staff surveys, certification programs, etc.
- Coordinates hiring prioritisation exercises for FSS globally as required.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Manage delegated authorities, systems access approvals and client portfolio tagging, clean up and governance.
- Conduct periodic reviews on behalf of the Global Head of FSS, e.g. cost centre year end review, access review, etc.
- Advise the Global Head of FSS on appropriate Bank policies in strategic decisions and provide relevant solutions / alternatives.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Collaborates with the following stakeholders to achieve client and business objectives:
- FSS COO Team,
- Global Head of FSS,
- FSS Regional Heads,
- FSS Segment Sales Heads,
- FSS Product teams,
- FM COO Team,
- Marketing, Communications, Finance, Legal, CFCC (Conduct, Financial Crime & Compliance)
- CCIB Client Coverage leads,
- CCIB / FM Marketing and Corporate Communications,
Our Ideal candidates
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in FSS COO team.
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business, and Functional policies and procedures.
Role Specific Competencies
- Bachelor's degree from a recognized University.
- 8+ years of experience in Banking and/or financial services
- Excellent knowledge in Financial matrices, defining executions, involved in supporting the strategy and execution of strategy
- Creative problem-solver with good multi-tasking skills, able to prioritise issues and resolve them efficiently.
- Strong project management skills, with direct experience in managing business projects at regional- or global-level.
- Mature self-starter who can quickly get up to speed and take a strategic view.
- Ability to work on broad strategic projects as well as day-to-day process-oriented tasks.
- Strong organisational skills and process discipline in order to drive multiple agendas.
- Flexibility and responsiveness in order to handle changing priorities and urgent requests from senior management.
- Experience of working in the geographic/functional matrix.
- Ability to engage stakeholders well in both a one-to-one relationship and team environment.
- Maintain discretion in dealing with highly confidential information.
- Multi cultural awareness. Proven success of working effectively with people of different backgrounds.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office - Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint are must-haves.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
About Standard Chartered
- Financial Services Industry
- Data Gathering and Reporting
- Planning: Tactical, Strategic
We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours. When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
In line with our Fair Pay Charter,
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
Recruitment assessments -
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers