The Portfolio Risk Associate facilitates endowment risk management through multi-asset class performance analysis, quantitative analytical modeling, and portfolio risk reporting. The individual will report to the Endowment Reporting manager and work closely with the investment team including the Chief Investment Officer.
The Portfolio Risk Associate will use their quantitative skills to design and develop data driven analysis and models, playing an integral role in the investment office. The portfolio- and position-level analysis, data, and reporting will supplement the team’s investment research and analysis and ultimately support RMC’s portfolio decision making.
The position requires a strong work ethic, attention to detail, quantitative and analytic skills, the ability to work in teams, self-motivation, good written and communication skills, advanced experience with computers, and an interest in investing.
- Bachelor's degree required in Finance, Statistics, Computational Finance, or other similar areas
- Minimum of 3 years of portfolio risk and applicable quantitative analytical work experience at an investment firm, investment bank, endowment, institutional investor, or similar organizations
- Enthusiasm for solving problems and ability to convert complex ideas and results into simple, transparent terms for end users
- High degree of attention to detail
- Advanced capabilities in applied statistical analytics and quantitative modeling for endowment or institutional investor risk management
- Understanding of modeling challenges associated with non-transparent holdings and long-term illiquid exposures including drawdown investment structures
- Demonstrated knowledge of key portfolio risk concepts such as beta, VAR, upside/downside capture, Sharpe ratio, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills and compatibility with a team-oriented environment
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, PowerPoint, and Word and advanced portfolio risk modeling or software tools; Familiarity with visualization tool such as Tableau
- Strong programming and scripting skills with knowledge of one or more software tools such as MATLAB, Python, R, SQL, and VBA
- Collaborate with the reporting and investment team to create, interpret, and maintain various risk models to identify systematic risk exposures, key drivers, risk/return trade-offs, and implications for portfolio asset allocation
- Responsible for extracting and analyzing data related to portfolio monitoring; designing, building, and maintaining quantitative models; and producing accurate and timely reporting on a scheduled and ad-hoc basis to track portfolio risk metrics
- Develop, maintain, and produce risk reports for exposures, liquidity, asset allocation analyses, which include portfolio factor exposures, stress testing, peer group comparisons, expected long term asset class returns and volatilities, and other modeling portfolio optimizations
- Presents analysis, data-driven commentary, and reporting results using effective written and spoken communication that explains model components, outcomes, and data anomalies clearly
- Assist operations and investment team management with coordinating the development, integration, and maintenance of existing risk databases, systems, and analytical tools; drive the resolution of system limitations; and research, evaluate, and recommend new tools and methods as needed
- Identify risk reporting inefficiencies, and recommend appropriate control procedures to ensure data integrity and reconciliation
- Able to work with key internal (Chief Investment Officer, Investment and Investment Operations professionals) and external (consultants and service providers) stakeholders
- Serves as a subject matter expert for portfolio risk, maintains external network of thought partners, and actively researches new trends, software, or approaches by risk management professionals
- Performs all other relevant duties as assigned
- Master’s degree or higher
- 4-5 years plus of portfolio risk and applicable quantitative analytical work experience at an investment firm, investment bank, endowment, institutional investor, or similar organizations
- CFA or CIPM designation
For questions, please email email@example.com.