Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
As a trainee accountant at Canada life you will be responsible for assisting with the successful delivery and preparation of monthly, quarterly and/or annual reporting and accounts, ensuring alignment with underlying accounting records. You will be fully supported in the progression towards your qualification to become a qualified accountant under the supervision of a qualified accountant who will mentor and support your progress.
This position will be based initially in our Insurance reporting team located in Bristol or Potters Bar.
- Accurate updating of our financial systems with daily and weekly sales and other financial information, ensuring the integrity of the accounting data by making sure it is up to date and accurate.
- Produce daily reports during the month-end close cycle and reconciliation to the underlying financial records, as well as other financial reports related to month-end, quarter-end and year-end cycles and processes with coaching and support in more complex reporting.
- Contribute to external reporting submissions, such as those requested by Office of National Statistics (ONS), ABI, FCA, FSA, CBI and PRA.
- Assist and support annual processes such as:
• Internal and external auditing processes during year end reporting
• Data collation for regulators or for our parent companies
• completion of tax returns for review by Senior Management
- Assist with the analysis of earnings for the monthly management accounts including analysis using SAP & Data Repository/ Finance reporting system eg Hyperion.
Provide analysis for regular departmental and business reports taking in to account commercial and statutory considerations.
- Assist in preparing financial reports and data uploads as part of monthly accruals and allocation reporting process.
- Assisting all appropriate accounting processes and controls within the team or function with support from your people manager. Support the continuous improvement of department processes and procedures, suggesting process and reporting improvements to senior management. Suggestions will take into account up-to-date industry developments and issues to ensure to ensure the provision of a timely, accurate, commercial and efficient accounting service to the business and key stakeholders.
Desired Knowledge / Experience / Skills
• Can accurately record and input financial information for immediate line management.
• Developing sound understanding of accounting principles and analysis, as well as their commercial application/implication.
• Intermediate MS excel skills demonstrating efficient use of spreadsheets
• Ability to deliver work to a high standard under tight time pressure with attention to detail
• Has the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships, acting with integrity and role modelling the company values at all times.
• Can confidently and clearly communicate ideas and information
• Able to effectively plan, organise and execute their own work with supervision, making management aware of conflicting priorities and readjusting their workload accordingly.
• Good problem-solving skills and attention to detail, being able to identify issues and interdependencies.
• Can make some decisions independently in order to progress issues but able to exercise sound to assess when matters need to be escalated.
• Has commenced study for accountancy exams (ACCA/CIMA).
• An interested and inquisitive individual who is committed to their own ongoing professional and personal development.
• Highly numerate with A-level or equivalent in Mathematics or financial subjects.
• Studying towards ACCA or CIMA
Benefits of working at Canada Life
We believe in recognising and rewarding our people, so we offer a competitive salary and benefits package that's regularly reviewed. As a Canada Life UK colleague, you'll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including a generous pension and bonus scheme, along with, income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance. We have a fantastic number of other benefits and support services as well as regular personal and professional development.
How we work at Canada Life
Our culture is unique and incredibly important to us. We care about doing the right thing for our people, customers and community and helping others to build better futures. Our blueprint behaviours shape and influence how we work, and are central to the relationships we have with others. Every day we are encouraged to be more curious, own the outcome, face into things together and find a way forward.
We want colleagues to have rewarding careers with us so we invest in the development of our people, technology and workplaces. That's why we offer a range of training, flexible working and opportunities to grow and develop.
Diversity and inclusion
Building an inclusive workplace with a diverse workforce where everyone can feel they belong and achieve their potential regardless of gender, ethnicity or any other characteristic is a key commitment for us. We are proud of the progress we're making in DEI, and we continue for it to be a significant focus.
"At Canada Life we believe in the power of great people from different backgrounds, experiences and perspectives coming together to build better futures. Emerging talent is crucial to our growth and creating an environment that continues to inspire us all." Nick Harding, Chief People Officer, Canada Life UK
We appreciate that everyone has different work and life responsibilities. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements, including part time, for any of our roles should this be a requirement for.