Bloomberg seeks a data journalist who can augment our coverage of artificial intelligence. We aim to hire a reporter who possesses coding skills and can bring a data-driven approach to understanding a transformative technology that's underpinned by algorithms and computer science.
This person's role will be part explanatory and part investigative. On one hand, they will help decipher how artificial intelligence works, to whom it applies and the ways in which it could be destructive to the workplace, the economy and civil society. On the other, this reporter would bring novel approaches to testing and vetting products in a way that holds their creators to account-credibly and in a thoroughly documented way. We would ask this reporter to pry open the black boxes underlying artificial intelligence platforms, delve into the vast and expanding body of research surrounding machine learning, neural networks and large language models and explain their business and societal implications in clear terms. WE'LL TRUST YOU TO:
YOU'LL NEED TO HAVE:
- Be committed to the idea that journalism can and should hold the powerful to account
- Adhere to the best journalistic practices, sound judgment and a willingness to learn
- Be a team player, willing to collaborate across teams and time zones
- Translate highly technical concepts into writing that is clear, succinct and well organized
- Work quickly under deadline pressure
- Contribute to a range of platforms, including Bloomberg Terminal, the web, Bloomberg Businessweek, Bloomberg TV and short video formats
- Experience as a skilled data journalist, with extensive knowledge of a broad range of applications of artificial intelligence
- Proficiency in data analysis tools, such as Python, R or SQL
- Experience with web scraping tools, such as Selenium, Puppeteer or Playwright
- A background training and deploying machine learning models
- A record of high-impact stories that changed perceptions
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.
Salary Range: 115,000 - 140,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.
We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.