Reporting to the VP / Managing Director of Alternative Investments, this position is responsible for sourcing new investment ideas, conducting investment and operational due diligence, and making recommendations for additions to the Alternative Investments portfolio. This role requires strong analytical and critical thinking skills and significant investing experience, preferably across multiple asset classes. This position will work extensively with external partners to source and execute investment strategies and will collaborate with internal partners on diligence and investment performance.
There is flexibility in the opening, and we are evaluating individuals with varying experience levels.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Source, evaluate, and execute alternative investments across a variety of strategies and asset classes.
- Perform investment and operational due diligence (evaluating both quantitative and qualitative factors) on third-party fund managers, including on-site visits, coordinating with Unum’s legal, tax and compliance groups where appropriate.
- Negotiate investment documents, working with internal and external legal counsel.
- Make investment recommendations and present them internally for approval.
- Develop external network for sourcing new investment ideas – attending conferences, annual investor meetings, etc.
- Actively monitor Unum’s Alternative Investments portfolio, providing written and oral reports and recommendations on actions to take with respect to specific investments and asset classes.
- Keep apprised of emerging industry trends and themes in alternative asset management and perform ad-hoc research projects as needed.
- Bachelor degree in finance, accounting, economics or related field required, MBA strongly preferred. CFA preferred.
- 10 years+ work experience in investments; experience in alternative asset management with track record of sourcing and executing investments in one or more asset classes preferred
- Very strong written and verbal communications skills, with the demonstrated ability to clearly and quickly communicate ideas and recommendations
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, both qualitative and quantitative
- Organized and detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills, documentation skills and ability to work independently
- Very strong work ethic, attention to detail, team orientation, and commitment to excellence
- Some travel expected