Role Title: Director, Head of Policy Development - Capital Markets
What will you be doing
The Strategic Policy Group is newly formed, bringing together Government Relations, Regulatory Policy and Regulatory Relations in each of the jurisdictions that we operate. The function provides direct advice on strategic policy matters to the Group Chief Executive, Executive Committee and Board and oversees the Group's interactions with governments and regulators, and the development of policy and advocacy in all of the jurisdictions in which the Group operates.
The Head of Policy Development - Capital Markets will be responsible for driving the Group's proactive thought leadership policy development, working closely with policy leads in regional teams (UK/EU, US, APAC), to shape the future direction of government and regulatory policy in a way that aligns with our strategic objectives and positions Barclays as a thoughtful and influential contributor to this policy agenda.
• Devise and implement a proactive thought leadership strategy aimed at influencing the development of policy in this area.
• Devise and implement proactive advocacy and engagement strategies to position the Group and senior leaders as visibly engaged, influential leaders on this policy agenda.
• Drive an overarching, global policy perspective on this policy area, working closely with jurisdictional policy teams to deliver a unified, global approach to advocacy.
• Horizon scan for developments in international and global fora.
• Drive engagement in global trade association fora e.g., IIF.
• Provide SME policy input for external advocacy.
• Use data and insights from across the organisation to provide a unique Barclays perspective to external stakeholders.
• Leverage research from across Barclays to drive a meaningful and comprehensive contribution to the development of policy in this policy area.
What we are looking for
• Deep knowledge of the policy making process in one or more principal jurisdictions (UK, EU, USA).
• Proven track record of designing and delivering policy change programmes and, preferably, desired outcomes.
• Excellent written communication skills.
• Experience in building new teams, leadership and motivation.
• Ability to work in a matrix structure and collaborate across different businesses, functions and jurisdictions.
• Able to demonstrate a transparent, open and empathetic approach to leadership.
• Adept at solving problems and conflict in differences of opinion.
• Developed presentational skills and comfortable representing Barclays on a variety of topics at international for a, including public speaking.
• Data science and insights.
• Deep capital markets / digital / ESG policy understanding in more than one jurisdiction.
Skills that will help you in your role
• Politically astute and able to understand the dynamics of large, complex organisations.
• Good relationship and excellent stakeholder management skills.
• Experience of working with international and global fora, including, but not limited to WEF, IMF, IIF, IOSCO etc.