Director, CDO Tooling and Insights
Reports to (Line Manager's Job Title):
Direct Reports (if applicable):
Department/Function Level 1:
Department/Function Level 2:
BX Chief Data Office
If yes, what is the name of the regulator
Insert text here
Contractual Legal Entity - Please refer to link below for legal and regulatory requirement.
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.
We're committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers' and clients' needs. Whether you have family commitments or you're a career, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
BUK & BX - All location
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We're flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances
Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
About Barclays Chief Data Office
Data is the lifeblood of our business. Our processes and systems rely on accurate and accessible data. While our businesses are generating more and more data, our clients, investors and regulators' demand for ready- access to our data is increasing all of the time. Emerging Big-Data technologies and predictive analytics offer the opportunity to turn data into a competitive advantage, deriving insight and identifying business opportunities.
Our challenge is to better manage and integrate our data so that it can be efficiently delivered to all of Barclays' stakeholders, for better insight and decision making. Over the next three years Technology must focus on the foundations of our data architecture - formal governance, technical standards and rationalisation. These stronger foundations allow us to be more agile, efficient, and operate with less risk, while underpinning a modernisation of our technology to support all of our stakeholders' demands.
The Chief Data Office is a team of data experts driving positive change in the trust and use of our data across Barclays:
• Sets the Barclays Data & Records Management Strategy, Policy, and Standards
• Drives a consistent approach for managing and using data across Business Units and Functions
• Governs new uses of data to drive commercial benefits and deliver value across the organisation
• Partners with stakeholders who have a key responsibility for data
About CDO Data Tooling and Insights Team
The CDO Tooling Team designs, builds, and manages applications that support the capture and maintenance of Enterprise Metadata, Lineage, Data Quality Issues, Records Inventory, Enterprise Process taxonomy and End User Developed applications inventory. This team is integral to implement the Global Data and Records Management Standards (aka CDO Policy) via tools, third party products, workflow and analytical solutions. The team is also responsible for assessing and establishing strategic tooling for delivering the automation of physical and business critical data cataloguing.
------------------ Overall purpose of role
This technology leadership role will take the ownership of our UK based Data Tooling & Insights Teams, identifying features and solutions for enhancing the proposition by applying critical thinking. This is data management leadership role, so experience in building data platforms / data products to solve business use cases is critical to success. An important part of the role also includes partnership with our India based development teams ensuring seamless delivery of our book of work.
• Manage the complete ownership of on-time, efficient delivery of technical projects across the CDO organization
• Critically review the existing suite of applications and lead the innovation agenda
• UK leadership role to manage cross-function and cross-regional team(s); grow and nurture colleagues
• Present ideas and designs to colleagues and adapt work based on reviews and direct feedback
• Ensure delivery of individual and wider teams is to the required standard, including co-ordinating active code reviews
• Develop innovative solutions that will enhance the client experience and provide cost-effective solutions
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
• Ability to communicate with and influence senior stakeholders across different business units and functions
• Drive innovation and validate new tools and technologies
• Experience working within a large and multidisciplinary team.
• Ability to mentor team members to enhance team's overall delivery
Decision-making and Problem Solving
• Ability to deal with complex technical problems
• Ability to make sound decisions and use independent judgment
• Proactive leadership in project initiatives and raise risk at appropriate level and time
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
Personal attributes essential to performing role including competencies, expertise, knowledge, and experience. Note: experience requirements must not be in the form of years (minimum or otherwise).
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
• A seasoned technology leader with extensive experience of client and server development and delivery in the web and/or mobile domain
• 5+ years of large product / project management across teams
• Experience of managing globally located development teams in an Agile delivery environment
• Data Management products, ETL and data visualization skills are essential
• Able to exhibit deep technical leadership throughout the project and product life cycle
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience with DevOps, containerization, and cloud-ready solutions
• Data Management and Data Governance software experience is a big plus
• Data Architecture skills - conceptual modelling to mesh architecture
Purpose, Values and Mindset
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.