Legal Counsel - Employment Law Litigation
As a Barclay's Legal Counsel sitting in our Employment, Incentives and Pensions (EIP) team, you will be providing daily advice and counsel to business leaders across departments on employment law matters such as discrimination, harassment, breach of contract that are brought against the company. As part of your role, you will also be helping to drive policy, develop trainings and work on special projects such as organisational design.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity - helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We're flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
• Providing advice on employment law matters to business stakeholders, HR, ER, Compliance and other functions in the Barclays Group in the UK, Europe, and Middle East
• Supporting EIPs involvement in strategic projects, policy changes, and litigation, and with general research and advice
• Advising and educating HR, Legal and business stakeholders and sharing knowledge on relevant employment law issues
• Managing Barclays day to day litigation processes including managing a portfolio of employment litigation and early conciliations
• Maintaining precedents related to employment litigation
• Providing reporting and management information arising from employment litigation
• Advising HR, ER and business stakeholders on individual employee matters, including disciplinary, grievance and capability matters, investigations, and other advisory matters
• Participating in the development and delivery of training on employment law risk issues and emerging legal risks within EIP Legal, to the Legal function and to stakeholders
What we're looking for:
• Qualified employment lawyer ideally with some exposure to the financial services sector and prior litigation experience
• Builds good relationships, especially with other colleagues in Legal
• Demonstrates a client led commercial approach
• Good team player who also has the desire and ability to take the lead where required
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Exposure to the financial services sector in the UK and abroad
• Broad knowledge of, and ability to implement, Barclays Purpose and Values
• Displays initiative and commitment and engenders trust
• Contributes to the delivery of team objectives
Where will you be working?
Our new state-of-the-art Campus, right in the heart of Glasgow is a hub of creative collaboration. A place where everyone can bring their true selves to work and reach their full potential. Home to 5,000 of our colleagues, our Tradeston campus will support the community in more ways than one - by creating thousands of new career opportunities and celebrating local artists. A short walk from Central Station on the south of the Clyde, it will be a key location for the Barclays business that will deepen our ties with the city and its communities.