Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.
It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
We're committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers' and clients' needs. Whether you have family commitments or you're a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
About CIB Sustainable Finance
Sustainable Finance is a rapidly growing field that focuses on integrating environmental, social and governance considerations into financial decision making with the aim of promoting long-term sustainable development and mitigating the negative impacts of economic activity on the environment, society and the economy.
Barclays' Corporate and Investment Bank is uniquely positioned to develop a market leading sustainable finance franchise through the delivery of a full suite of products, solutions and expertise to our clients as they navigate the transition to a low-carbon economy.
------------------ Overall purpose of role
The Sustainability & Transition Institute will focus on promoting sustainability and facilitating the transition to more sustainable practices for Barclays and its clients. The group will provide technical expertise, guidance and best practice advice to business leaders and execution teams within Barclays to support the development and delivery of the Sustainable Finance agenda. As a Carbon Accounting / VAR technical expert , the role incumbent will be responsible for providing technical expertise and analysis to support the development and implementation of carbon accounting and voluntary carbon offset analysis, related advice and transactions, projects and overall business. The incumbent will work with a team of sustainable finance professionals, bankers, traders and finance experts, among other stakeholders, to apply Carbon Accounting / VAR analysis to projects, identify risks and opportunities and support the business teams in developing strategies to maximize positive environmental and social impact as well revenue generation. Responsibilities will include applying carbon accounting methodologies, [overseeing the certification of carbon offsets], and providing technical support to project and business teams and clients.
• Provide technical expertise on carbon accounting and VAR methodologies to track greenhouse gas emissions and carbon offsets
• [Oversee the certification of carbon offsets, including validation and verification]
• Provide technical support to project teams and clients, including guidance on carbon accounting and offset best practices
• Conduct research to identify market trends, investment opportunities and potential risks related to sustainable finance and Carbon Accounting / VAR
• Develop technical reports, presentations, and other materials to communicate trends and findings and support business leaders and originators to identify business opportunities and provide sound client advice
• Develop and maintain relationships with key internal stakeholders and partners such as front office bankers, traders and functional stakeholders
• Ensure compliance with relevant standards and protocols for carbon accounting and offsetting
• Partner with front office teams on the origination and execution of client mandates, building a client advisory strategy and materials to support on this
• Support internal training initiatives with expert content and resources
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
• Work across the CIB with key business leaders and functional partners to effectively influence the Sustainable Finance agenda and deliver Barclays' products and services across sustainable finance to clients
• Drive performance development expectations and contribute to the development of individual employees
• Incorporate team building as an active part of business strategy
• Support Sustainable Finance leadership and be an advocate of training and mentorship
• Support the building of a work culture is conducive to promoting a positive work environment and a sustainable financing view
Decision-making and Problem Solving
• Act as a trusted advisor across different stakeholders supporting the sustainable finance agenda and the overall education and awareness of stakeholders
• Develop innovative and bespoke solutions for Barclays' clients
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to analyse complex technical and financial data and develop recommendations based on data-driven insights
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate technical concepts and complex data to both technical and non-technical audiences
• Strong teamwork and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team
• Passion for sustainability and a strong commitment to making a positive impact on the environment and society
• Experience in working with carbon registries, auditors, and verifiers
• Clarity of communication with demonstrated ability to convert technical expertise and content into meaningful and commercial advice for clients
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
• Master's degree in environmental science, engineering, economics, or a related field
• Professional certification in carbon accounting or sustainability
• Experience in the development and implementation of carbon offset projects
• Familiarity with carbon markets, trading platforms and carbon pricing mechanisms
Purpose and Values
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.