Senior Research Analyst
Maren Capital LLC, a fundamental, concentrated investment management firm based in Chicago, is seeking an experienced equity analyst who has a passion for investing and a curious mindset. The ideal candidate will be an accomplished research analyst with over 10 years of equity research experience, preferably covering U.S. equities with a focus on small- and mid-cap companies. They will have a deep understanding of security and business analysis and be comfortable operating in an environment with a disciplined, process-oriented, and high conviction investment process.
Founded in 2022, Maren Capital is an employee-owned investment management firm. Our investment objective is to generate strong absolute returns over the long term by owning a select number of extraordinary businesses. We are fundamental, intrinsic value-based investors with a steadfast commitment to deep and differentiated due diligence. Our research process culminates in a concentrated portfolio of companies that we believe will compound capital over the long term.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
The Senior Research Analyst must exhibit a fundamental, research oriented, bottom-up approach, and be able to implement ideas through an analytical framework. The ideal candidate will show prior evidence of a disciplined research and investment process as well as a track record of successful implementation.
Specific responsibilities will include:
Evaluate and Monitor Current Investment Holdings
- Conduct due diligence on company and industry trends through reviewing industry and research reports, earnings and management conference calls, SEC filings, tradeshows, and conferences.
- Create and maintain internally generated financial models.
- Synthesize and assess financial and industry data.
Generate New Investment Ideas
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend investment ideas utilizing a long-term, intrinsic value-based approach to investment research.
- Search for new investment ideas through, industry research, company visits, industry conferences and other relevant sources.
- Conduct in-depth due diligence using the firm’s process-oriented approach.
- Respond to research requests from the CIO.
Collaborate with the Chief Investment Officer
- Perform fundamental equity research and investment analysis in support of the research process.
- Present well-developed and process driven investment recommendations.
- Proactively search out information and viewpoints that both confirm and contradict the investment thesis and communicate all relevant sector and company-specific developments.
- Maintain and enhance investment knowledge through continuing education and daily interaction with the investment team.
- Work collaboratively with other firm functions including compliance, operations, and marketing.
- Communicate with existing/potential investors and participate in marketing of the strategy.
- Understand and comply with the firm’s policies and procedures.
- Take on additional responsibilities as necessary.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with a strong academic background
- MBA or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation or progress towards either strongly preferred
- 10+ years of experience conducting fundamental research across a broad array of sectors and industries
- Strong analytical and valuation/modeling skills including advanced proficiency in Excel; proficiency with the full Office 365 suite is preferred
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, and the ability to engage in healthy debates with curiosity and respect
- Team building and integrity – The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of effective teamwork. A strong work ethic will be valued greatly.
- Knowledge of our intrinsic value-based investment philosophy
- Experience with Bloomberg and FactSet
- Ability and desire to travel regularly
To excel in this role you will need:
- A passion for investing with a long-term perspective
- A process-oriented investment approach, grounded in valuation discipline
- A curious mindset and the ability to objectively synthesize and analyze information
- The ability to work autonomously as well as within a group
- The humility of a lifelong student and belief that continuous learning is essential
- An unwavering commitment to excellence and integrity
Chicago, Illinois (on-site)
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation includes a competitive base salary and the opportunity to earn performance-based incentive compensation.
The company also offers a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance coverage, a 401(k) plan, personal time off, and additional ancillary benefits.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their resume along with a two-page write up of a compelling, high conviction small or mid-cap company idea.
The company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.