Associate - Private Investments
The Finance Control job supervises the preparation of financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. This job develops, evaluates and implements internal control policies and procedures and supervises para-professionals on the finance and accounting teams. This job sets day-to-day operational objectives for team members and ensures that policies and procedures are understood and followed by direct reports.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Creates and implements policies and procedures to identify, resolve and document accounting issues in addition to creating procedures to make the close and reporting processes more efficient and accurate.
- Implements systems enhancements and process improvements and identifies, recognizes and anticipates accounting and business issues to enable timely evaluation for proper reflection in the financial statements.
- Supervises the monthly close process, billings to clients for services provided, billing reimbursements from clients, collection of accounts receivable, supervising accounts payable, payroll, monthly reporting for the shareholders, monthly preparation of a reforecast, annual preparation of a budget, and all treasury administration.
- Serves as a key stakeholder communicating between investment managers and the accounting functions, including by ensuring the financial technology system used by both departments is working as expected.
- Implements a process to record transactions by department and compare costs incurred to budget and performance analysis of properties.
- Oversees tax compliance and in cash/debt management of the company (e.g., re-negotiating loan agreements).
- Implements, documents and maintains adequate and effective processes to improve the close and reporting cycles to ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Manages performance of direct reports through regular, timely feedback as well as the formal performance review process to ensure delivery of Accounting objectives and engagement, motivation and development of the team.
- No Advanced Degree Required Preferred
- 3+ Years Required; 5+ Years Preferred
- Physical Requirements: Sedentary Work
- Responsible for quarterly GAAP and IFRS accounting, oversight and financial reporting for alternative investments in private equity fund structures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the financial statements and related footnote disclosure requirements.
- Test and analyze financial information and transactions to ensure data integrity and appropriate treatment.
- Produce clear, accurate, and well-organized documentation to support work performed.
- Assist with preparation of fund and investment performance reporting.
- Assist with accounting research, preparation of technical memos, and coordination with the Accounting Policy team to ensure appropriate application of accounting principles.
- Liaise with external auditors to facilitate the timely completion of audited financial statements.
- Collaborate with partners across diverse business lines, including Asset Management, Risk Management, Valuations, Tax, Legal, Compliance, Product Management, and Treasury.
- Help maintain a sound internal control environment
- BA/BS in Accounting/Finance
- 3 - 8 years in Accounting/Finance position
- Public accounting experience strongly preferred
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or CPA candidate preferred
- Experience in investment company accounting as well as agriculture, timber, energy, and infrastructure investments a plus
- Financial statement preparation experience
- Solid knowledge of GAAP
- Proficient in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Excellent technical research, communication and writing skills
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, and conceptual skills
- Self-directed, self-starter, and motivated with the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks