About Performance Analytics:
The Performance Analytics team is part of the QSPA (Quantitative Strategy and Performance Analytics) team within the larger Portfolio Strategy and Risk Group which helps to provide guidance on our strategic direction and portfolio objectives.
The Performance Analytics team has 3 key responsibilities
- Cost of Capital Framework: The team develops, refines and implements, for all our investments, Temasek's cost of capital framework , which both determines the hurdle rates for investment evaluation/performance monitoring and the discount rates used in valuation.
- Certain Annual Performance Metrics: The team computes the performance of the Temasek portfolio on a bottom-up basis and is responsible for reporting Temasek's annual Wealth Added (total dollar return minus dollar cost of capital), which is audited and officially published in the Temasek Review .
- Performance Analysis and Enhancement: The team also helps identify patterns and possible improvements in performance or investment behavior in order to enhance portfolio returns.
The current position focuses on the first 2 of these areas, with the following specific activities:
(1) Cost of Capital Framework
- Review and refine our cost of capital policy and performance measurement methodologies This may involve extensive study of academic research and market practices and an assessment of how these can be applied to our framework.
- Develop and refine the cost of capital policy and performance measurement framework for new asset classes.
- Partner with investment deal teams to provide inputs on valuation cost of capital/discount rate parameters, conduct sanity checks on cost of capital, where required; keep track of deal specific cost of capital/discount rate used by the market.
- Advise investment teams on the appropriate Cost of Capital using approved frameworks across asset classes.
(2) Computation of Performance Metrics
Prepare, review, and verify bottom-up performance numbers for all Temasek's listed and unlisted assets in preparation for annual Wealth Added and Total Shareholder Return generation and audit, for publication in the Temasek Review
Performance Reporting and Data Management
- Generate performance reports and assist in providing investment performance reports to internal & external stakeholders
- Help with performance reporting and relevant dashboards for tracking on an ongoing basis in multiple cuts (e.g. security, sector/region, vintage, strategy, etc.) to help stakeholders understand drivers of portfolio and sub-portfolio returns (absolute and relative)
- Raise, investigate and follow up on issues related to data quality and content of the reports.
- Manage annual audit requirements on performance metrics.
- Participate actively in provision of performance metrics and analysis for annual Temasek Reviews.
Technology Tools and System Transformation
- Manage the systematic/automated computation of performance metrics by working with Technology team.
- Make enhancements to the system according to business needs and reporting requirements.
- Participate in Technology transformation team to manage systemization and streamline of current work processes.
- Manage external vendors as needed to enhance use of third-party system/data
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business or Accounting , with analytical mindset
- Knowledge of valuation and corporate finance concepts is a must
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience using Qlik, Bloomberg, and Factset would be a strong plus
- Meticulous approach with strong interpersonal and communication skills are required
- Ability to work well in a team is essential
- Knowledge in a programming language (preferably Python/R) would be a plus