Business strategy and capability
- Develop and implement credit risk management strategy within the Group's risk management framework to manage credit risks
- Define and achieve desired portfolio shape and characteristics that would maximize return on capital within acceptable risk tolerance/loss volatility
- Collaborate with rest of group functions, directs and support respective country business and credit teams to implement agreed strategies
General Management of the CPBB WML Risk Function
- Maintain and develop risk capabilities, skills and infrastructure to meet ongoing business needs and plans
- Appraise and contribute to the development of Wealth Management and Private Banking business/ product review through active membership of applicable executive committees, including the WMPS Process Management Group, WMPS Product Approval Group (PAG), Insurance PAG, Funds PAG and Discretionary PAG
- Align strategy of the Wealth Lending CRM risk function with regional & country business strategy and risk appetite and tolerance and oversee its execution
- Maintain and develop risk capabilities, skills and infrastructure to meet ongoing business needs and plans within the Portfolio Management Group (PMG)
- Continuously improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of risk management processes
- In coordination with the Global Head Wealth Lending Risk, ensure effective management of operational risks in the Wealth Lending risk function and ensure compliance with applicable internal policies, and external laws and regulations
People and Talent
- Maintain the relevant credit risk policy and standards covering Wealth Lending in all CPBB segments (Mass Market, Priority, Priority Private, Private Banking) to ensure policy aligns with the agreed risk appetite, reflects the key risk characteristics of the portfolio, and enables effective controls
- Supervise the implementation and enforcement of the credit policies and risk control procedures for consistent applications across markets; ensure that processes are in place for the Risk Officers in Group / Region / Country to monitor adherence.
- Continuously improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Function's risk management processes
- Presentation of the global portfolio with robust and insightful analysis in Credit Policy Management Group meetings to facilitate risk reward trade off discussions and decisions
Risk Management Capabilities Improvement
- Uphold and reinforce the independence of the Function from those whose primary responsibility is to maximise short-term revenues and profits
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of the Function's people, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports (where applicable) and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives
- Development of risk management capabilities standard. Scope covers entire credit life cycle from new/test program introduction, origination, account management, risk monitoring, to remedial management.
- Ensure identified strategic markets are fit for growth by establishing appropriate risk management capabilities, skill and infrastructure are in place to support the Bank's goals
- Implementation of capabilities standard.
- Establishment of performance management mechanism that drives continuous improvements.
- Formulate risk appetites for the product / segment in joint sponsorship with the business.
- Monitor, review, control, and communicate risk profiles to ensure that portfolio shape is in line with the strategy
- Uphold the integrity of risk/return decisions, by challenging business to demonstrate that risk origination and control decisions are properly informed and consistent with strategy and risk appetite
- Direct appropriate response to material events or other risk issues that come to the Global Head Wealth Lending Risk attention
- Monitor external factors such as state of the economy, regulatory environment and other emerging risk trends.
- Understand sensitivities to key risk drivers and the potential stress impact on the portfolio.
- Actively participate in appropriate Product Approval Groups through standing membership
- Align the strategy of the PMG team with properly approved business strategy and risk appetite and oversee its execution
- Partner with the business to deliver strategic aspirations whilst remaining within agreed risk appetite
- Ensure that Portfolio Standards evolve appropriately to proactively manage changes in external environment, strategy and/or risk appetite.
- Ensure that effective management response plans are in place to respond to extreme but plausible scenarios
- Drive continuous improvement on portfolio risk monitoring and management capability, develop appropriate risk management key performance indicators.
To exercise Process Ownership for the following processes
Risk Appetite/Risk Tolerance
- CPBB Wealth Lending - Policy/Procedures in all CPBB segments (PvB, PrB, Mass Market)
- Client Monitoring - WM
- Underwriting and Portfolio Management - WM
- LTV Management
Risk Control Ownership of Credit and Operational Risk
- In coordination with the Global Head Wealth Lending Risk, assess periodically the risk profile of Private Banking and Priority Banking Wealth Management lending and maintain alignment with risk appetite by rebalancing of risks or controls that may be required in response to internal and external factors
- In coordination with the Global Head Wealth Lending Risk, ensure that effective management response plans are in place to respond to extreme but plausible scenarios
- Uphold the integrity of risk/return decisions, by challenging business and control function heads to demonstrate that risk origination and control decisions are properly informed and consistent with strategy and risk appetite
- In coordination with the Global Head Wealth Lending Risk, create appropriate response to material events or other risk issues that come to the CPBB CRO's attention.
- Ensure risk identification, measurement and modelling capabilities for Wealth Management and Affluent Banking (Private / Priority) are objective, consistent and compliant with applicable regulations
- Ensure that material risk exposures and related issues are reported to the responsible governance committees
- Design methodology for assignment of Loan to Value (LTV) ratio across all asset classes. In addition, provide input to country PvB/WML risk teams for assignment of client specific LTVs
- Define criteria for evaluation of providers and products for distribution by PvB and WML business.
- Challenge the completeness of risk control activities across Operational Risk Control Areas and identify and address any significant gaps that may exist between them
- Maintain a good understanding of the requirements of key external stakeholders in respect of risk management and ensure these are well understood internally and reflected in internal procedures
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Regularly review audit reports /business risk maps and identify key risk trends or issues related to the wealth lending portfolio.\
- Review CADs , CRDs and program proposals for new and existing products submitted by business units/countries for approval, ensuring that all risk dynamics are properly addressed and controlled.
- Actively participate in applicable program steering committees and product approval groups
- Manage control and governance framework through monitoring of CSTs.
Key Stakeholders Group
- Lead the Global CPBB Credit Risk Policy team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles : Fair Outcomes for Clients
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate, and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Provide leadership in CPBB Affluent team (at the relevant location) to comply with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and practices as defined by internal and external requirements. Understand and ensure compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations and guidelines including those governing securities activities, company law, anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group's policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct. Take personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance requirements of the role. Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate, and resolve risk and compliance matters
- Embed the Group's Values and Group Code of Conduct to ensure adherence with the highest standards of ethics. Comply with relevant policies, processes, and regulations, as part of the culture. Lead by example by displaying exemplary conduct behaviours and take personal responsibility for:
- the conduct of individuals in CPBB WML Risk team (at the relevant location) ensuring behaviours set out in the Group Code of Conduct are followed.
- risk function achieving the outcomes set out in the Conduct Principles and Pillars.
- both direct and indirect/dotted line managers are individually accountable to proactively communicate, collaborate, and agree on the conduct ratings of employees.
Regions and Countries
- The CPBB Risk Management Team (RRMT)
- CPBB Management team
- Global Head Wealth Management Team and direct reports
- Global Head Wealth Lending
- Global Head CMPS and direct reports
- Group Internal Audit
External : Other Responsibilities
- Regional Chief Credit Officer, CPBB
- Regional Business Head - Wealth
- Country Credit Head - CPBB
- Country CRM Head - CPBB
- Country Business Head - CPBB / Wealth Lending
Role Specific Technical Competencies
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in Global Retail Banking Credit Risk,
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Risk Management - Retail Credit Risk
About Standard Chartered
- 15+years of functional risk experience in the area of Retail Credit Risk Management and Wealth Lending . Exposure to country and /or Regional roles in risk/policy / risk operations management preferable.
- knowledge and grasp of banking practice, financial markets, Basel and other applicable regulations in the Consumer Private Business Banking space
- Substantial experience in the financial services industry with understanding of the dynamics of financial markets across asset classes, price movements and volatility assessment
- Sharp business acumen (including ability to assess risk and appropriate levels of return), strong leadership qualities, excellent interpersonal skills, multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity and influencing skills..
- Demonstrated track record in successful management and ability to manage risk in geographically dispersed and highly varied product base.
We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours. When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
In line with our Fair Pay Charter,
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
Recruitment assessments -
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers