Description About this role BlackRock Index Services - Lead Software Engineer (VP) About BlackRock
Elevate your career by joining the world's largest asset manager! Would you thrive in an environment that fosters positive relationships and recognizes outstanding performance? We know how important it is to feel valued every single day and be recognized for your contribution. At BlackRock, we strive to empower our employees and effectively motivate your involvement in our success. With over $9 trillion of assets, we have an outstanding responsibility: our technology and services empower millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial well-being. About the team
BlackRock Index Services (BIS) is responsible for the design, development, and administration of Fixed Income, Equity & Multi-Asset indices for internal and external clients. Our success hinges on producing highly accurate, best-of-breed indices in a timely manner.
BIS is looking for an experienced Lead Software Engineer to contribute to the design and implementation of our next generation Equity, Fixed Income & Multi-Asset Index calculation, simulation and delivery platform. Role Responsibilities
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Responsible for all aspects of software design, development, testing, support and ensuring compatibility with enterprise and solutions architecture by harnessing modern development technologies
- As a key member of our engineering team, you will provide ideas to craft our technology roadmap and solutions.
- When necessary, present your innovative ideas to leaders across the firm.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver innovative indices
- Convert feature requirements to high-level plans and target architecture
- Build implementation plans for a team of engineers
- Communicate optimally with colleagues and partners to represent knowledge and expertise in technology and investment
- Participate in client discussions and presentations.
- Respond to technical questions from clients and perform ad-hoc analyses when needed to support and substantiate the response
- You have a zeal for automating the complete software lifecycle - development, testing, deployment & production operations
- Identify refactoring opportunities to existing code to align with newer technology stacks and architectural patterns
- Take pride in guiding and mentoring a team of engineers
- B.S./MS (or equivalent) in a STEM subject area with 8 to 12 years of experience in Enterprise Software Development
- Strong experience with Java technology stack (Spring, JDBC, Hibernate, Apache Tomcat, JBoss, Maven, Jenkins, JUnit)
- Strong development skills in Core and Enterprise Java using multi-threading and networking frameworks
- Strong Python development experience with good knowledge of numerical / statistics / ML packages such as pandas, numpy, scipy and cvxpy
- Good understanding of SQL & NoSQL Database design with experience on Oracle / Sybase / Snowflake / Cassandra
- Experience with design & development of ETL solutions / Object Relational mapping (ORM) solutions is desirable
- Experience with design & development of ReSTful Webservices using HTTP-JSON / gRPC and Service Mesh architecture is desirable
- Experience with cloud native development (Kubernetes, Docker) and Cloud Platform like Microsoft Azure
- Experience with Observability stacks like ELK / Open Telemetry / logging & monitoring frameworks is desirable
- Experience with Distributing Computing Technologies like Apache Ignite/ Hazelcast
- Experience with Open source publish-subscribe frameworks like Apache Kafka is desirable
- Solid understanding and knowledge of Unix/Linux and related infrastructure
- Good understanding of fundamental Data Structures & Algorithms.
- Ability to analyze & compare solutions for space-time complexity and trade-offs
- Experience with Object Oriented Design Principles & Patterns
- Superior problem solving and troubleshooting skills and perseverance to identity Root cause of any problem
- Experience in developing and supporting high performance, low-latency, high availability systems
- Experience working in an agile software development environment and with related technologies (Git, JIRA, ADO)
- Understanding of Equity / Fixed Income / Real Estate Investment & Trading ecosystem.
- Candidates with knowledge of Equity / Fixed Income / Real Estate indices will be given preference
- Technical writing skills
- Experience with BlackRock Aladdin platform and dashboard technologies is a plus
- Experience implementing solutions that interface with financial services industry is highly desirable:
- Data providers such as Bloomberg, Reuters, FT Interactive Data, Factset, Rimes
- Index vendors such as MSCI, S&P, Barclays, JP Morgan
- Trading, Clearing and Funds Transfer messaging networks such as SWIFT, FIX, FICC/DTC, MarketAxess
- Passionate about multiple aspects of enterprise software development - Performance, Scale, Resilience, Usability and Maintainability.
- Meticulous planner, well-organized engineer with strong attention to detail and an uncompromising approach to quality
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. Our hybrid work model
BlackRock's current hybrid work model is designed to enable in-person connections and collaboration that is core to our culture, while supporting increased flexibility for all employees. In line with local health guidance and regulations, employees are required to work at least 3 days in the office each week, with the flexibility to work from home up to 2 days a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. The health, safety and well-being of our people will always be our top priorities; we will continue to monitor local conditions and health advisories in making decisions about our work environments. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, family status, gender identity, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected attributes at law.