Associate Consultant, Denver
As an associate consultant, you will assist the consulting team in all phases of Callan's investment consulting to asset owner clients, including strategic planning, investment implementation, performance evaluation, education, and new business development. Our team works with institutional clients, including corporate and public retirement plans, endowments and foundations, taxable trusts, insurance assets, etc. on either a discretionary or non-discretionary basis. Our goal is to identify a candidate with a genuine interest in capital markets and investing, intellectual curiosity, strong project management skills, and a true appreciation for the value of building strong, trusted relationships with clients.
Please note: This position will be based in our Denver office, working a hybrid schedule Our day-to-day environment is changing due to COVID-19, and Callan is committed to prioritizing your safety. Our ideal candidate will be able to adapt to these changes, as required.
· Coordinate and manage resources for client projects
· Assist the consulting team in developing project plans and annual reviews
· Engage with Callan team members in researching and developing strategic advice and asset allocation analysis
· Support the consulting team in providing guidance to clients as they navigate financial markets and their own changing circumstances
· Draft/review statements of investment policy
· Coordinate prep meetings with consulting team to ensure all client needs are met on a timely basis
· Work closely with the performance measurement team and assist consultants in monitoring existing client portfolios by understanding and reviewing quarterly performance measurement and ad-hoc reports
· Lead the production of custom quarterly executive summary reports and commentary, which are presented during client committee and board meetings
· Create detailed analysis at the total fund level, asset class level, and investment manager level
· Prepare ad-hoc client presentations as needed
· Assist in manager/product research as needed
· Draft/review client and manager profiles for specific client manager searches
· Coordinate meetings with the internal teams and investment managers
· Assist in creating a plan to successfully implement manager transitions
· Assist in researching special topics for general consultants and clients
· Assist in developing customized educational information and/or seminars for clients
· Customize quarterly capital markets information as needed
New Business Development:
· Collaborate with Denver consultants and other departments to respond to requests for proposal, ensuring the delivery of high-quality, well-written and timely materials
· Assist in general marketing efforts as needed
· Assist in researching and providing consultants with information to build a successful relationship with prospective clients
Job Skills & Requirements
The individual in this role will have a keen and demonstrated interest in investing and capital markets. They will ask questions unabashedly and listen intently to the responses they receive. The individual will be proactive in working with senior consultants and demonstrate strong time management and project management skills. The person in this role will be grounded in a strong sense of ethics and will act with humility and accountability in their work, keeping clients at the forefront as they work with and support their Callan teammates. Finally, the person in this role embraces diversity, equity, and belonging as key tenets of an impactful culture and a successful business.
· Ability to collaborate effectively on cross-functional teams in a collegial fashion
· Strong time management skills an ability to prioritize and manage projects efficiently
· Demonstrated ability to receive and integrate feedback
· Strong basis for presentation and writing skills (and the desire to continue to develop both)
· Attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
· Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
· Build and maintain relationships internally and externally
· Knowledge of the capital markets in general and the institutional investment landscape in particular
· Passionate about learning and seeking information to uncover answers and generate new ideas; including the ability to ask for help when needed
· Self-motivated and proactive, able to work independently and without supervision
· Emphasis on team over self
· Willingness and ability to travel, if/when required
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably in finance, economics, or a related discipline (we are also open to those with differing backgrounds and a strong interest in financial markets)
· Progress toward or interest in earning the CFA designation and/or CAIA Charterholder (if not yet earned)
· 2-4 years of experience preferred, particularly in the investment industry
Compensation, Benefits & Training
At Callan, you can expect:
· A generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical/dental/vision benefits, monthly communications stipend, tuition assistance, and more
· Training for all Callan databases, research, and other systems
· Access to team-building events, community outreach opportunities, and wellness events
As an employee-owned firm, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners.
Visit www.callan.com/careers to learn more about Callan’s culture, benefits, and more.
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has roughly 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S. Learn more about us at www.callan.com.
Callan LLC is an equal opportunity employer.
Research shows that women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. We are committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage all, especially women, people of color, and those in the LGBTQ+ community, to apply for positions even if they do not necessarily check every box outlined in the job description. Callan believes that our organization and culture are made stronger through diverse perspectives and experiences.