12 - 15 Month Fixed Term Contract Opportunity
Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers. Job Summary
As Senior Credit Risk Rating Analyst, you would be responsible for the validation of risk rating assessments on private placements, publicly rated bonds and on secured Commercial Real Estate (CRE) loan transactions. In addition to this, the senior credit rating analyst would provide input to the maintenance and continuous development of the risk rating modelling frameworks that are currently been used by investments to assess the risk rating of each obligor that Canada Life Group (CLG) and the entities of the group is exposed to.
The successful applicant will gain exposure and experience in assessing the risk rating of financial institutions, corporates across a range of sectors and CRE loans. The senior credit risk rating analyst is also responsible for conducting credit and economic research to assess the current and prospective risks and contribute towards the set of credit risk monitoring tools, which enable the Credit and Market Risk team to assess risks and risk manage the portfolio of assets that the CLG and the entities of the group is exposed to. As a centralised function, the team works across the business to provide risk oversight to aggregate credit and market risk exposures of CLG.
The ideal candidate will be able to take individual responsibility for the validation activity, while working proactively with other members of the Risk teams to increase the overall knowledge base. The successful candidate requires sound communication, writing and presentation skills as the role will regularly involve interaction with other teams within the investment function and key senior stakeholders to discuss and present risk review papers submitted to sanctioning committees. It will also require close interaction with members of the LifeCo's risk function on risk rating related matters. In return for the above, the successful applicant will join a dynamic team with genuine passion for their roles and a strong desire to help the company achieve its goals. What You'll Do
Who You Are
- Regularly review and assess independently the credit worthiness of a portion of the portfolio of CLG and the entities of the group holdings. Communicate results of the work to risk committees to compliment the risk oversight process.
- Evaluate the risk rating of the proposed new investments to assess whether the current assessment is appropriate and accurate are suitable for purchase.
- Evaluate the current and prospective risks of investments by sector when appropriate, in order to ensure that risks are properly identified, monitored and managed. Contribute to departmental discussions on risk strategy, including economic and market forecasting
- Assist with presentations to internal committees to enable the audience to gain a good understanding of the work of the department. Participate actively to regular risk rating committees.
- Maintain good relationships with market makers rating agencies and other third parties to extract best value from external research and advice.
- Continue own development, especially credit research skills, in line with the team's and the group's objectives.
- Strong analytical skills. Ability to gather information and use it to draw sound conclusions.
- Likely to have some experience of credit analysis or equity research
- A record of clear, detailed and well argued credit reports
- Excellent knowledge and experience in Microsoft office, databases and Bloomberg.
- Demonstrate good judgement in the assessment of credit rating reviews and in the assessment of investment strategy
What you'll like about working here
- Related experience gained working for an insurer, bank or one of the top reputable rating agencies
- CFA preferred
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you'll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You'll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development. Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences