Description About this role
Are you interested in building innovative technology that shapes the financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup, but want to solve some of the world's most complex problems? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders in technology and finance?
At BlackRock, we are looking for Web Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
With over USD $8 trillion of assets, we have an exceptional responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial well-being.
Being a technologist at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most sophisticated financial companies and also being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions.
Alpha Engineering is a team within the Aladdin Product Group and are responsible for technology used by Researchers, Portfolio Managers, Traders, Risk Managers, and Investment Operations. More specifically the role is in the team that works alongside BlackRock's Portfolio Management and Aladdin Business groups, building technology solutions. You are:
- Curious and eager to learn new things, with a healthy disrespect for the status quo
- Willing to embrace work outside of your comfort zone, and open to guidance from others; you make mistakes, but learn from them
- Passionate about technology, with personal ownership for the work you do
- Data-focused, with an eye for the details that matter to solve the problem
- Passionate about building quality software and scaling technology to meet the needs of tomorrow
- Building solutions for BlackRock and over 100 organizations who use our technology
- Developing in Java, Python, Cassandra, Kafka, Apache Ignite, Angular, and many others
- Committed to open source, and contributing back to the community
- Writing testable software every day, with a focus on incremental innovation
The team is looking for hands-on software developer to work on an exciting strategic product to expand our Aladdin Platform. Working with a distributed team, you will be part of an outstanding group of engineers setting and evolving the technology direction for our internal developer systems and SDLC.
As a key member of our engineering team, you will be encouraged to bring your ideas forward to help craft the technical solutions. You will need to have excellent interpersonal skills and be comfortable communicating your ideas to inquisitive senior leaders.
This position pertains to full-stack Java development and will have exposure to industry-standard technologies, such as Angular, Hibernate, Spring, GIT/ADO, Solr, Cassandra and more. The role will also afford the chance to learn about the financial industry, specifically the sophisticated world of risk management, valuations, and operations. Responsibilities include:
- Help design and build the next generation of world's best Technology platform for various Investment lifecycle processes, Calculate Portfolio Risk's, Perform Portfolio Accounting, Managing Valuations, and Navigate Investment operations.
- Collaborate with team members in a multi-office, multi-country environment.
- Understand and refine business and functional requirements and convert them into scalable technical design.
- Apply validated quality software engineering practices through all phases of development
- Ensure resilience and stability through quality code reviews, unit, regression and user acceptance testing, dev ops and level two production support
Nice to Have:
- Experience (4+ years) building UI components using latest in web technologies (e.g. Angular, React, NGRX) and languages (e.g. TypeScript)
- Strong OO skills and design patterns knowledge and implementation experience using one or more object-oriented languages (e.g. Java OR Python)
- 2+ years hands-on experience developing complex enterprise software systems.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and communication skills
- An ability to translate real business problems into technical solutions
- A track record of forging strong relationships and building trusted partnerships through open dialogue and continuous delivery
- Knowledge and experience adhering to SDLC standard methodologies including test driven development (TDD), unit testing, agile development and CI/CD strategies.
- Experience working with teams across different time-zones and countries
- Experience building cloud-native applications (plus)
- Advanced exposure developing and working with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Sybase) is a plus
- Added exposure in developing using NoSQL and distributed storage technologies
- Exposure to Java Performance Testing, Supervising using tools such as JMeter
- Exposure to the investment management domain
- Ability to lead and handle small teams
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. Our hybrid work model
BlackRock's current hybrid work model is designed to enable in-person connections and collaboration that is core to our culture, while supporting increased flexibility for all employees. In line with local health guidance and regulations, employees are required to work at least 3 days in the office each week, with the flexibility to work from home up to 2 days a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. The health, safety and well-being of our people will always be our top priorities; we will continue to monitor local conditions and health advisories in making decisions about our work environments. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, family status, gender identity, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected attributes at law.