A Leading Hedge Fund in Manhattan is looking for a Full-Time, permanent, employee for a Lead Developer with some hands-on architecture experience:
The Firm is a values-based organization with strong alignment with the interests of our investors. The Firm measures success as performance relative to a market-based benchmark.
The Firm's IT team is seeking a Lead Developer to function as a hands-on, experienced lead developer and focus primarily on projects that improve the experience, efficiency, and functionality of the firm's risk and investment systems. The successful candidate will be comfortable across technologies and working directly with quant developers, risk analysts, operations analysts, and risk managers to deliver front-to-back solutions. They will also be expected to work collaboratively with others in IT to realize the full life cycle of system development projects: from requirements gathering to application design, data modeling, coding, testing, delivery, support, and enhancements.
This is a full-time, permanent opportunity. The Lead Developer will be expected to work on-site at our Midtown, New York office 2-3 days/week.COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for this position (subject to accommodation for health and religious reasons).
The successful candidate will have extensive experience writing n-tier front- and back-office applications for financial services companies, such as asset managers, hedge funds, and/or broker/dealers. Candidates with strong technology qualifications outside of financial services will be considered.
The new hire must lead by example and work collaboratively to:
- Provide direction to shape the future of our application architecture
- Raise the bar on our development capabilities, standards, and processes
- Have a strong understanding of Cloud technologies (preferably AWS)
- Synthesize requirements gathered from various teams within/outside of IT and suggest creative solutions; where appropriate, guiding the Firm to "do it the right way"
- Following a scrum methodology, organize with end users, business analysts, and other architects and developers
- Recommend positive steps toward standardizing development processes including technology selection, deployment steps, code reviews, and IT tools
- Partner with DevOps, QA, and AppSecOps teams to promote standardization, consistency, and improved security posture
Our applications are primarily developed using Python/Django and Python libraries such as Pandas, NumPy etc., PL/SQL. In addition, we utilize SQL Server, MySQL, Elastic search, Redis, Kafka, Tableau, and various of third-party APIs and data sources. Primary responsibilities estimated percentage allocation
- 15% Technology Leadership: design, mentoring, requirements gathering
- 15% Relationship Building: requirements gathering, brainstorming with end users
- 20% Team management/leadership
- 50% Heads Down Development
- At least 10+ years hands-on object-oriented development in a financial services context (Java and/or C++); 2-3 years of data driven development in Python is required
- Bachelor of Science in computer science or other related discipline (although strong experience with a less directly related degree will be considered)
- Formal problem solving and/or analytical training/experience a plus, as is experience working with management consultants
- Design and development experience with data and analytics intensive applications using Pandas and NumPy libraries is highly desired
- Ability to write high performing SQL queries, procs, tables, and views
- Familiar with general ETL design and development
- Good intuition for end user requirements gathering; iterative and collaborative approach to design
- Practical understanding of design patterns and experience in system design
- Ability to lead a development team
- Strong client relationship management skills and excellent written/verbal communication skills to interact at all levels
Initial success criteria
The successful candidate will be expected to hit the ground running, balancing short-term tactical needs and longer-term in-flight projects needed by the business teams. During the first six months, the Lead Developer will have learned enough about the Firm's business, processes, and applications that they should have accomplished the following:
- Owned some key projects and systems that are being built to facilitate our SMA capitalization, performance attribution, risk exposures, risk management activities, and/or investment capabilities
- Provided significant Python-based project deliverables with substantial contributions in front, middle, and back-end layers of the architecture
- Manage a team of junior/mid-level developers, taking responsibility for their productivity and code quality
- Made hands-on contributions to the progress of the project portfolio
- Forged solid relationships with key partners, and developed a vocabulary that demonstrates a strong understanding of our products and services
- Begun to contribute to the broader Firm's IT conversation, considering how our data architecture, systems architecture, and technology choices need to evolve to provide the best experience to our decisionmakers
- CFA or FRM
- Financial Services, Investment Management, Asset Management, etc.